HISP Faculty Focus, November 2019: Marisol Castro-Calzada

By | November 1, 2019

Ms. Marisol Castro-Calzada–a 2008 graduate of the College of Charleston’s M.Ed. in Spanish program, as well as of Western Carolina University (B.A. in Business Administration, 2002)–has been an integral part of Hispanic Studies since December of 2008.

Since joining the department as an Adjunct Lecturer in Spanish, Ms. Castro-Calzada has expertly taught classes in the Basic Spanish Language program, both online and face-to-face. In addition, she has contributed significantly to the Distance Education Committee, the Basic Language Planning Committee and as a mentor in the Mentoring Matters program.

Previous to her career at the College of Charleston, Marisol served as an instructor and, ultimately, as Department Chair at the Charleston Collegiate School. Certainly, we are glad she chose to join Hispanic Studies, as the department is immeasurably enriched by her presence.

In her own words:

“I’m one of those fortunate people who have found their life’s passion in their work. As a CofC faculty member for the last ten years, I have been able to help my students gain a greater understanding of the world through the study of other languages and cultures. As a mentor and an educator, I have had the opportunity to develop close relationships with my students throughout their learning experiences. And, as a member of the Hispanic Studies Department, I have been very fortunate to collaborate with the department’s exceptional faculty, who are always a source of inspiration and growth.”