header image

Alumni Spotlight: Clay Scott (SOCY ’15)

Posted by: tillilied | January 12, 2016 | No Comment |

What have you been doing since you graduated?
Since graduation in May 2015, I have been in the process of launching my own nonprofit organization, Anchor 180°. Anchor 180° is a nonprofit organization built around helping those who battle mental illness.  Our goal is to be a direct link to finding help by raising awareness, breaking the stigma, and providing resources and outreach.  So much in today’s generation is readily available online somewhere and easily accessible.  However, mental illness is stigmatized and we are told not to discuss it publicly.  Anchor 180° is breaking that normality and choosing to redefine what society perceives as ‘normal’ about mental health. Feel free to check out our website: www.anchor180.com for more information on what we do.

Scott, ClayWhat is your current position?
I am the owner/founder of Anchor 180°.

What advice would you offer to new students at the College of Charleston who are thinking of declaring a major in Sociology?
Sociology is a great gateway into the real world. Sociology teaches you necessary topics and ideas that will be applicable to any job you will have throughout your life. This major does not “slot” you for one career track, but rather is broad enough to provide knowledge to endless opportunities.

What advice would you offer to students graduating from the College of Charleston with a degree in Sociology?
I would advise any graduating student to the same quote that got me to where I am today, only seven months after my own graduation: “Find what you love and let it kill you”. When you find a career path that jives with your passions, you will always feel the motivation and love for working. Too many young people in our generation, and younger, feel this sense of entitlement. However, the reality is that life doesn’t owe us anything. Get out there, find what you have a passion for (what you really care about and believe will make a difference in our world, and the go full force after it. If something slows you down, understand that it doesn’t mean that is the end of the road — It just means that you have to travel a road that is unpaved for a while.

What was your most memorable learning experience in Sociology?
Senior Seminar – This was a very interesting process for me as we learned about qualitative methods of research and autoethnography. I enjoyed meeting with each person for my interviews and really enjoyed the project as a whole as well.

What unexpected benefits have you derived from a degree in Sociology?
The biggest unexpected benefit from my degree actually has nothing to do with the education I obtained at the College of Charleston, but rather the networking. During my time at CofC, I was so consumed with the “schooling” side of the education that I was completely unaware of what was being constructed behind the scenes. I had no idea that each professor and classmate would later be where my networking began and that networking has led me further than I could have ever imagined.

What class did you most enjoy while earning your degree at the College of Charleston?
I really enjoyed Child Welfare and Abnormal Psychology (my minor was Psychology). I felt that those were the two classes that hit home for me and drove me toward finding what I wanted to do with my life.

What class was the most applicable to your everyday life now that you’ve graduated? 
There were several classes that I still use daily for Anchor 180°. Some of these are Cognitive Psychology, Child Welfare, and Abnormal Psychology, Sociology of the Family, Sociology of Peace, and Senior Seminar. I use the Psychology courses to understand people on an individual level. I use Child Welfare to understand the legal system in our society about children (minors – under age 18). I use Sociology of the Family to watch for trends among families and the way in which some mental illnesses impact each generation of a family. I use my experience with Senior Seminar to mold and construct each step of what I do with my company now. I mostly use this course experience to conduct my interviews for various roles regarding Anchor 180°.

What made you choose the College of Charleston over other schools?
I had always enjoyed the location and the city. I have family in Charleston, as well. I was accepted to every college/university that I had applied to but chose to come here because it was smaller and provided more of the opportunities that I desired for my life after college. If I could go back in time and do it all again, I would not change a single thing about being a Cougar!

under: Uncategorized

Leave a response -

Your response:

Categories