header image

Meet Ashlee Powers, Sociology Major

Posted by: tillilied | October 6, 2015 | No Comment |

Why did you choose to attend the College of Charleston?

After visiting several other college campuses in South Carolina I decided the College of Charleston (CofC) suited me best. I loved the history of the school, the quaintness, the old city charm, the small class sizes, and the close proximity to the Medical University of South Carolina where I hope to volunteer, get clinical experience, create network opportunities, and pursue my studies in the medical field.

What made you decide to be a sociology major?

I chose sociology because I loved the idea of learning how society works and why the structures of society are the way they are. Prior to college I researched sociology and was amazed out how interdisciplinary it really is.  Previously I never thought of sociology as an option for someone who wanted to study medicine, but I soon realized how beneficial it can be.

How does sociology fit into your life plan?Powers, Ashlee

Sociology relates to medicine in many ways that can help me become a more well- rounded surgeon. Medical sociology is an example of the relation of medicine and sociology (which coincidently is a great class we have available on campus that is taught by the amazing Dr. Dickinson!). Learning about the social aspects of medicine would never be taught in a science class, which gives me better insight and a higher likelihood of positive bedside manners.

What have you learned from your professors?

I have learned so much throughout my years in college. My sociology professors have emphasized how important social networks are in all aspects of life- the social connections you make in college can literally make or break your career opportunities in the future. I’ve learned from a number of them how important it is to be passionate about your career in life. Also, the importance of a liberal arts education for students’ future careers. I’m honestly amazed at the intellectual capabilities of the professors here; they are truly amazing and inspiring.

What is your favorite Sociology class?

Collective Behavior taught by Dr. Rigney!

Who is your favorite professor and why?

Dr. David Morris is my favorite professor because he goes above and beyond for his students; he also makes it a point to learn everyone’s name. He has an infectious attitude and passion for teaching that I find really inspiring. Dr. Morris’ specialties are Sociology of Education and Political Sociology, which I have taken with him and they’re both amazing!

What are you doing your Bachelor’s Essay on?

My Bachelor’s Essay is on the social networks of female plastic surgeons and female pediatricians in the Charleston area. I will be focusing on the close connections the female doctors share to see how dense or segregated their social networks are. I also plan to compare their social networks to a small sample of male doctors to compare and contrast the differences.

What are your plans for after graduation?

After graduation I plan to go to medical school to ultimately become a pediatric facial reconstructive plastic surgeon. I chose this career path because as a child my mom was sick on a consistent basis, and I wanted to do what I could to make her better. So at the young age of five I decided to become a doctor and haven’t changed my mind since. I’ve always known what my calling was in life, and I can’t imagine doing anything else. I ultimately chose pediatric facial reconstruction because I adore children, and I know what a huge impact I can make by helping them.

Do you have advice for other students deciding on a major?

The best advice I can give is to choose a major you love. I can’t tell you how many people I’ve known that have dropped out or had to do an extra year because they thought they could do well in it a particular major but ended up hating it so much they just couldn’t do it anymore. It’s hard to do well in a subject you hate, and it’s really hard to be happy in life with a job that you dislike tremendously. It is so important to have a job that you love because it makes life so much more rewarding and fulfilling. Choose wisely!

What is your most challenging event or greatest accomplishment at the College of Charleston?

The hardest thing for me to learn throughout college was time management. It’s really difficult to make enough time to get everything done you need to- finding that balance is something that takes a lot of time and practice. School always has to take priority over everything. I feel this way because achieving your dreams is worth all the hard work and dedication you put into it. Even though things seem tough now, it will be worth it when you achieve it.

What is one surprising fact about you?

I’m a black belt in karate. Also, I watch medical documentaries for fun, I and love to learn about anything medical.

under: Student Spotlight

Leave a response -

Your response:

Categories