header image

Meet New Sociology Faculty, Sarah Hatteberg

Posted by: tillilied | September 17, 2015 | No Comment |
  1. How long have you been teaching at CofC?Hatteberg, Sarah

This is my first semester.

1. What were you doing before coming to CofC?

I did my PhD in Sociology at Indiana University in Bloomington, so I was living in Bloomington, Indiana before coming to CofC. However, Louisville, KY is what I call home.

1. Where did you study and what inspired you to study sociology and become a professor?

During my freshman year at Lake Forest College, I enrolled in a Sociology and Anthropology class. The class was taught by Heather Levi, and anthropologist who did her doctoral research on Lucha Libre, professional wrestling in Mexico. I remember reading an article she had written and thinking, “Wow, people really get to study things like this?” I found her research fascinating and was thrilled to learn that I could study similar social phenomenon. I pursued my PhD in sociology and became a professor because I wanted to provide others with the same eye-opening experiences I had in college.

1. Are you involved in any research at the moment?

Much of my current research is focused on the sociology of sport. Given recent controversies related to the exploitation of student-athletes and the subsequent push for unionization, I have been particularly interested in understanding how participation in collegiate athletic programs influences student-athlete health and well-being. Having studied Division I athletics, I am interested in expanding this line of research to include Divisions II and III to explore how the mental health effects of college sports might vary across competitive levels. As a medical sociologist, I am also interested in beginning new projects related to the lived experiences of persons with chronic and acute mental illness.

1. What is your favorite class to teach?

Sociology of Sport – Hands Down! And it’s not because I’m a sports nut. I love teaching this class because I think special topics courses like this one are the perfect way to introduce students from a variety of backgrounds and interests to sociology. But, this is not limited to sports. Movies? Music? Video Games? Language? No matter what an individual is interested in, there is a way to study it from a sociological perspective. I love teaching courses that help students make that connection because it allows them to see their world from a different vantage point and to become more socially competent and empathetic toward others.

1. Do you have any advice for current or prospective students?

Yes, take classes in every possible discipline while you’re in college! I wouldn’t have discovered sociology had I not been open to a variety of classes and fields. I would also suggest that students consider traveling abroad while they are in school, or immediately after. It provides a type of real world learning that is not necessarily available in the classroom. There are a number of programs and scholarships available to students interested in study abroad that can help facilitate that experience!

1. What are you looking forward to in your new role teaching at CofC?

As a new faculty member, I am looking forward to teaching, mentoring, and collaborating on research projects with students. The most fulfilling aspect of my role is inspiring curiosity in my students. I enjoy challenging students to step outside of their comfort zones, while also learning about what interests them most about the world around them.

1. What is your favorite book or are you reading anything interesting?

Eats, Shoots & Leaves. It’s a witty book about how minor changes in punctuation can completely alter the meaning of a sentence. I keep a couple copies in my office for anyone interested in checking it out!

1. What is your favorite food?

All of it! Olives are the only type of food I’ve ever discovered that I actually dislike.

1. If you could have dinner with one person, living or dead, who would it be?

I’m cheating by including more than one person here, but I would have to say my family. They are the quirkiest bunch of individuals I know and there is never a dull moment when they are all around.

under: Faculty Spotlight

Leave a response -

Your response:

Categories