Today we’re considering why to use Blogs, Wikis, webpages, WebCT and possibly others to create a web presence. The wiki link for this session is http://thurs3.pbwiki.com/Blogs+CofC+Edu
But first, the library has created a plug-in for Firefox that can be used to work together with Amazon.com searches – search for a book, and it automatically checks the library catalog and PASCAL (the interlibrary loan system) to see if the College has it. It requires GreaseMonkey, another small add-in. Fantastic!
Things new (to me):
- Kitchen Sink button – additional formatting options, including paste from Word, styles
- 10MB limit for Blog – need to watch document sizes that are embedded
- Good alternative for embedding – save docs on Scribd.com
- Embedding a picture: John – CBS commentator?
- Post versus Pages: Page generally not open for comments? Pages don’t appear on the blog unless linked or included in a sidebar widget. On my blog, I use a “Digg” theme with two sidebars, and have a Page widget on one side to list pages.