Renowned entrepreneur and South Carolina African American Chamber of Commerce chairman, Stephen Gilchrist, stopped by the School of Business on Wednesday, Nov. 15 as part of Global Entrepreneurship Week.
Gilchrist, a Greenwood, South Carolina native, spoke with students about his journey to success as the founder and CEO of GSL Distributors and shared some advice with the aspiring young entrepreneurs. Here are his top tips:
- Find something you love and stick to it. Do something that excites you – something that makes it easy to wake up on a Monday morning.
- Always begin with the end in mind. It’s best to have a good idea of what your finished product will look like before you dive into a challenge.
- Forget about networking – make friends with everyone you meet. Friends will take you places networking can’t.
- Avoid setting “safe” goals. Challenge and push yourself beyond your wildest expectations.
- Pay attention in class. Last but not least – listen to your professors! The practical insight and experience your professors have to offer will save your life in the real world. Though sometimes, what you’re learning may only seem applicable in the classroom, that is often never the case.
Want to hear more from Gilchrist’s talk? Check out the video below!