Holland Williams Named Career Development Director

01

Holland A. Williams was recently named director of career development for the School of Business.  Williams brings with her 20 years of professional experience and has lectured in the school’s marketing department for 11 years.

“I am particularly pleased with the opportunity for increased student interaction,” Williams said.  “In this position, I am able to work one-on-one with the students to help them navigate the career path.  With today’s challenging job market, the students need every available resource to gain the competitive edge.  I am grateful that my experience as an employer can be put to use in favor of our students.”

Williams is responsible for overseeing the academic credit internship program for the school, interfacing with hiring managers and human resources personnel and implementing ongoing career services programs such as resume reviews, workshops on career-related subjects such as networking and professional etiquette and  identifying resources to assist the students with their individual job searches.

As a student at the College of Charleston, Williams participated in an internship with Spoleto Festival U.S.A.  She credits that experience with launching her successful career in the marketing industry.  “The internship brought my future into focus,” she said.  “I discovered a true passion for the marketing field and realized that I wanted to spend my life identifying consumers and targeting messages towards different audiences.  I was hooked.”

Williams’ professional experience includes account management positions with Rawle-Murdy Associates, a local advertising and public relations firm, and in New York City with Grey Advertising and M. Silver Associates.  Her account work was primarily in the travel and tourism, real estate and retail sectors.

From early in her career, she was responsible for employee hiring and supervision and at one time oversaw a department with 60 employees.  Williams says she feels as though she’s seen it all, from resumes delivered via singing telegram to employees coming to work dressed as if they were headed to the beach. “I want to deliver a career training program to our students that will help them avoid the pitfalls and gain confidence in entering the work force, ” she says.

The Career Development Office is located in Suite 100 of the Beatty Center and is open daily from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm.  Students are seen by appointment, or they are welcome to drop-in at any time.