header image

Matthew Echols, ’13

Posted by: shortsd | June 30, 2021 | No Comment |

Matthew Echols ’13 completed his Masters in Data Analytics at the University of Chicago in 2020. Matthew has a passion for using Data Science to help understand human experience. Between his time at CofC and his graduate study at the University of Chicago, Matthew worked as a Social Therapist at the Medical University of South Carolina and as a Clinical Research Coordinator at Northwestern University. While at CofC, Matthew conducted research with Dr. Jen Wright on the psychological significance of humility and perceptions of social luck. In collaboration with Dr. Wright and others, Matthew coauthored publications on these topics in 2016 and 2016 in The Journal of Positive Psychology and the journal Philosophical Psychology, respectively.

In describing what kept him going on his graduate journey, Matthew said, “Thinking of how I could apply what I was learning to the future. My program was highly theoretical so I was always excited to try and apply the theory to a more practical application. Also my fellow grad students. We would meet weekly to discuss how our projects/thesis/advisors were giving us hard times. Having a strong support system was important to me. Finally, it’s important to remember that life still goes on while you’re in school and to make sure you’re taking the time to care for yourself.” To others considering a similar path, Matthew suggests, “”Have a clear career goal in mind at all times (it’s okay to change). When making new decisions, ask yourself, “Will this help me reach my goals?”. If it does, do it.”

Profile Credit: Sabrina Fiorillo, PSYC Student Worker

under: Uncategorized

Categories