Provisional: Colonial Huguenots in South Carolina (The Manigault Family Papers)

My primary selections will be from the Monigault family papers. While I cannot use them all, as many are in French or illegible (and it is also too expansive of a collection), I will be revisiting the collection and doing my best to transcribe as many excerpts as I can to provide insight into life in early Carolina for French Huguenots. The collection is full of extensive letters and other accounts written by the family; prominent especially in the city of Charles Town. This collection can be found in the South Carolina Historical Society, 1068 box 11/275. The documents I have in particular are from folders one and five.

I have found multiple points of reference from the CofC bookstacks which I will use for further research, including The Huguenots of Colonial South Carolina by Arthur Henry Hirsch, From New Babylon to Eden: The Huguenots and Their Migration to Colonial South Carolina (Bertrand Van Ruymbeke) volumes I and II, and A Contribution to the History of the Huguenots by Samuel Dubose and Professor Frederick A. Porcher; in addition to information found in Wood and Weir and several book at the SCHS. If time permits, I would also like to try and pay a visit to the Joseph Manigault house on Meeting Street. Owned by the Charleston Museum, it was built in 1803 by descendents of the first Manigaults who part of the first groups of Huguenots to come to Carolina (also known as the “Huguenot House”). I’ve managed to find a book that may contain transcribed versions of the papers via inter-library loan, and I hope to use that to better provide evidence of family life here in Charleston.

Through this project I had hoped to find documents written by my own descendants, but, sadly, they seem to have only kept records of a few family names (if that). For my second source I hope to find accounts from another prominent Huguenot family that may provide more insight; I have looked into some of Peter Wood’s references but there does not seem to be much documentation of Louis Thibou’s existence or contributions other than Wood’s citation.