header image

Department Welcomes New Administrative Coordinator

Posted by: knottshg | February 14, 2018 | No Comment |

The Department of Political Science welcomed their new Administrative Coordinator, Tracey Andrews, on January 29, 2018. Tracey has spent the majority of her working life in higher education. She began her career at Manchester Community College as a student worker for the Continuing Education Division’s Credit-Free programs, while earning her associate degree. Tracey received her bachelor’s degree from University of Connecticut while also serving as the Program Coordinator for the Department of Anthropology in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. She held the position for more than 10 years and in that capacity served as an advisor to students and as a representative of the department on the CLAS Undergraduate Council. She most recently served as the Administrative Assistant to the Associate Provost at the University of Hartford in Hartford, CT. Tracey moved to the Charleston area in August, 2017 to be closer to her daughter Nina and is thrilled to be out of the cold and here with us at the College of Charleston.

What do you like most about living in the Charleston area so far?

I came to Charleston to be closer to my daughter who moved here in 2016 after she got married. The warmth of the people of Charleston has been by far the greatest gift of living here. I think the pace is a little slower here and people are generally more apt to smile and start a conversation with you. Of course, I also love the warmer temperatures and the beaches too!

What do you think is the most important thing you’ve learned in your experience working in higher education?

I guess the most important thing I’ve learned personally is how to be a good resource for people. I am an excellent listener and can help others problem-solve so they can get their needs met in the best way possible.

If you could go back and do one thing differently in your life what would it be?

At the age of twelve, I wanted to be a veterinarian, but I allowed my mentor to discourage me because I wasn’t fond of math or science at the time. I now know that if you have great passion for anything in life, you must pursue it and the universe will get behind you and help you turn your dreams into reality.

What excites you most about joining the Political Science Department and becoming part of the College of Charleston community?

I visited the College of Charleston on my first trip to see my daughter and immediately fell in love with the campus. The minute I saw the advertisement for this position I knew it would be a great fit for me personally because I have ten years’ experience running a similar-sized department. And where better to be than this department with the current state of affairs in our government? I have not been very political for much of my life, but I am genuinely interested in the work that the faculty and students here are doing to propel us toward a future where truth is respected, diversity is embraced and the needs of our people and our planet are met.

What advice would you give to our current students?

First and foremost, I would encourage them to pursue all things that bring them passion and to especially pay attention to their own inner voice. Now is not the time to say that your parents always wanted you to be X, Y or Z. Now is the time to acknowledge that you were put on this earth as a unique individual with a destiny that only you can pursue so don’t let anything or anybody stand in your way. I would also encourage them to read Dr. Wayne Dyer’s book “I Can See Clearly Now” which will help put it all in perspective.

How would you want to introduce yourself to the students in the department?

I am here for you! If you’ve got any questions or problems, please don’t hesitate to stop by and see me. If I can’t help, I promise to find some resources or put you in contact with someone who can. You are always welcome here.

under: Staff

Leave a response -

Your response:

Categories