The College of Charleston’s offices of Residence Life, Public Safety, New Student Programs, and Parking Services have partnered together so that we can provide convenient parking for the families of students moving out of residence halls for the summer.
Be advised that any street parking other than metered spaces will be ticketed by The College of Charleston and/or the City ofCharleston. Parking on streets in areas that are not designated as parking areas restricts traffic flow and creates safety concerns for both pedestrians and other vehicles. Leaving someone to stand guard at a vehicle that is parked on the street will not prevent that vehicle from being ticketed.
Tip: Don’t forget to bring hand trucks or dollies for move out. Each residence hall will have a limited number in the lobby so it may be a good idea to bring your own to assist in the moving process.
SURFACE LOT AVAILABILITY
Selected surface lots that will be available for move-out on the dates and times provided below the following list:
- G Lot (close to Buist-Rivers; please note that you cannot park in a space that is marked as “reserved for physicians” or “Residence Hall Director”)
- BS Lot (close to Bull Street historic houses please note that you cannot park in the space that is marked as “Residence Hall Director”)
- Q Lot (close toComing Streethistoric houses)
- CS Lot (close toComing Streethistoric houses)
- I Lot (close to McConnell; CofC marked spaces only)
- P Lot (close to McConnell andWentworth Streethistoric and fraternity houses)
- WP Lot (close to Warren Place and Kelley House; also fairly close to Berry and McAlister; excludes the service space and the Residence Hall Director space)
We will not be ticketing the selected surface lots listed above during the following timeframes ONLY:
Tuesday 4/24/2012 from 5:00 PM until 9:00 PM
Wednesday 4/25/2012 from 5:00 PM until 9:00 PM
Thursday 4/26/2012 from 5:00 PM until 9:00 PM
Friday 4/27/2012 from 5:00 PM until 9:00 PM
Saturday 4/28/2012 from 12:00 PM until 5:00 PM
Sunday 4/29/2012 from 1:00 PM until 5:00 PM
Monday 4/30/2012 from 5:00 PM until 9:00 PM
Tuesday 5/1/2012 from 5:00 PM until 9:00 PM
Wednesday 5/2/2012 from 5:00 PM until 9:00 PM
Thursday 5/3/2012 from 5:00 PM until 9:00 PM
For exact locations of these surface parking lots, please consult the College of Charleston Parking Map. Printed copies of the map are available at Parking Services or Public Safety.
These are the only surface lots that will be available, and they will only be available during the timeframes provided above. Exams do not officially end until 5/2/2012, and students and employees with permits for these lots will still need access to their spaces while other students are moving out. Even if a lot appears to have several available spaces, it will be ticketed; the only exceptions are in the lots listed above during the designated timeframes.
For students who are moving out at times when there will not be surface lot availability, or for students whose residence halls are close to the PG, GG, or WG garages, we will offer complimentary two-hour garage parking for one vehicle per student. Please read the following information very carefully:
- Upon request students will be provided with one 2-hour parking voucher for one of the following garages: PG Garage, GG Garage, or WG Garage. For exact locations of these garages, please consult the College of Charleston Parking Map. PG Garage is convenient to Warren Place, Kelly House, Berry, and McAlister. WG Garage is convenient to the Wentworth Street historic houses, the fraternity houses, and McConnell. WG is reasonably close to McConnell and Craig.
- Garage parking vouchers will be available at the Parking Services office beginning on Monday 4/23/2012, and must be picked up during business hours (Monday through Friday; 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM). A valid Cougar Card must be presented in order to receive your garage parking voucher. (Public Safety will have a limited supply of garage parking vouchers if you need to pick one up after 5:00 PM.)
- Garage vouchers may be redeemed at any time of day between 4/24/2012 and 5/3/2012. Garage vouchers will represent the only parking option to students who plan on moving out on a weekday prior to 5:00 PM.
- There is a strict two-hour time limit on the parking garage vouchers, so please have all belongings packed and ready to go before you begin moving them out. If time parked exceeds two hours, patrons will be responsible for paying the additional fees.
- You must retain the ticket that you pulled upon entering the garage in order to be eligible for the two hours of free parking. You must surrender both the ticket and the voucher to the cashier in order to be eligible for the two hours of free parking.
- Garages are not always staffed 24/7, but there is usually a cashier on duty between the hours of 7:00 AM and 10:00 PM. Unfortunately, vouchers cannot be presented when there is not a cashier on duty. In order to avoid flat-rate exit fees, we recommend that you park at a metered space if you will be leaving campus after 10:00 PM.
Please feel free to call Parking Services at 843.953.7834 or email email@example.com if you have any questions.