Parent Website: www.cofc.edu/parents
Email Questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office of New Student Programs – 843-953-2017
- Course registration for fall 2011 continues based on earned hours to date:
- Students with 11 or more hours can register if they have no registration holds
- 6-10 earned hours can register for fall beginning April 11
- 1-5 earned hours beginning April 12
- 0 earned hours beginning April 13
- Incoming students register during orientation. An orientation hold preventing course registration will be on the account until the student attends.
- Monday, Apr. 25 – Last day of spring and Express II classes
- Wednesday, Apr. 27 – Final and Express II exams begin
- Wednesday, May 4 – Last day of exams
- Thursday, May 5 at 6pm – the Residence Halls close
- Saturday. May 7 – Graduation
- Monday, May 9 – Spring FINAL grades are available on MYCHARLESTON
The Final Exam Schedule for spring can be found at http://registrar.cofc.edu/calendars/index.php#FES. The exam date is based on the student’s spring course schedule. The student should always consult with the faculty member regarding the exam date before purchasing tickets for flights!
All calendars (academic, registration, exams) can be found on the Registrar’s website http://registrar.cofc.edu/calendars/index.php.
Transition Year website:
Parents may be interested in the Transition Year website provided by The Jed Foundation. The website provides information about the complex transition from high school to college and includes many resources to help parents anticipate, plan for, and protect the emotional health of their college student. This guide was designed with input from authorities on college mental health. The Transition Year website can be accessed at http://www.transitionyear.org/ – click on the nametag PARENT to view information. You do not have to register/login to access information.
CofC Parents Blog:
Parents may subscribe to the CofC Parent Blog by clicking on this link:
Subscribe to Parents by Email (submit your email address to subscribe to the blog)
The Office of New Student Programs offers a parents blog to keep you updated on listserv postings from college faculty, staff and administrators. By signing up for the blog email subscription, you will receive an email if there are any new postings.
Looking for a summer job? The Career Center can help!
The College of Charleston Career Center assists students in finding full time and part time employment opportunities including summer jobs. The Career Center receives hundreds of job and internship opportunities for students and recent graduates each year. All jobs and internships received by the Career Center are listed in CISTERNonline, and the Center website contains many local, regional, national and international job and internship listing sites. To discuss individual job/internship strategy, students should contact the office to make an appointment to speak with a staff member who can help you utilize appropriate resources and develop an effective job search plan of action. Learn more at: http://careercenter.cofc.edu/students/index.php
For assistance with MyCharleston, problems with campus email, or there are no credentials available when attempting to register for online for orientation please email: email@example.com or call the Helpdesk at 843-953-3375.
TUITION & FEES:
For financial aid questions email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 843-953-5540. Some helpful websites include:
A payment plan for each semester is available. Check it out at: http://treasurer.cofc.edu/PaymentPlan.html
Office of the Treasurer: Parents become an AUTHORIZED USER!
You can receive eBills by having your son/daughter sign you up as an Authorized User on the eBill system. This allows you to receive a copy of the bill/statement when we bill the student through the email system. To become an authorized ebill user visit the website at: www.treasurer.cofc.edu. All billing information is sent to the student’s campus email account – to receive the student’s bill you must be an Authorized User! If you have any questions email email@example.com.
May Graduation – for information visit the Senior Information website: http://www.cofc.edu/seniorinfo/
The Senior Information website at http://www.cofc.edu/seniorinfo/ will be updated as information about graduation is posted. Students apply for graduation thru the Registrar and will be notified via email regarding information, tickets and related information. The ceremonies will be held on Saturday, May 7, 2011. THERE WILL BE TWO CEREMONIES – one in the morning for graduates from the School of the Arts, School of Humanities and Social Sciences and School of Languages, Cultures and World Affairs and another in the afternoon for graduate from the School of Business, School of Education, Health and Human Performance, and School of Sciences and Mathematics Ceremonies will last 2 1/2 – 3 hours (morning) and 2 – 2 1/2 hours (afternoon). Additional Information:
The College of Charleston’s annual Family Weekend will be held on September 23-25, 2011. Coordinated by the Office of Student Life, the weekend will include a variety of educational, informational and social opportunities for students and their families to learn more about the College and the various cultures and traditions that make Charleston and the Lowcountry a wonderful place to live and grow.
Students may run their own degree audit using DegreeWorks!
DegreeWorks is a web based degree audit application and academic advisement tool that provides a clear and convenient method for students and advisors to track degree progress.
- To access Degree Works: Students can login to MyCharleston – go to the Academic Services Tab – Open DegreeWorks
Academic Advising & Planning Center:
Degree worksheets, advising contacts, student resources, general education requirements:
ONLINE CAMPUS RESOURCES:
- Academic Advising & Planning Center: http://advising.cofc.edu/
- Athletics: http://www.cofcsports.com/
- College of Charleston Academic Calendar: http://registrar.cofc.edu/calendars/index.php
- Career Center: http://careercenter.cofc.edu/
- Center for Student Learning: http://csl.cofc.edu/?referrer=webcluster&
- Center for Disability Services: http://disabilityservices.cofc.edu/?referrer=webcluster&
- Dean of Students: http://deanofstudents.cofc.edu/index.php
- Degree Worksheets: http://advising.cofc.edu/degree-worksheets/index.php
- Financial Aid: http://admissions.cofc.edu/financialaid/index.php
- FIRST-YEAR EXPERIENCE (FYE): www.cofc.edu/fye or to email: (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- GPA calculators: http://undergrad.cofc.edu/academic-resources/gpa-calculators.php
- Hometown news form: http://mediarelations.cofc.edu/hometown-news/index.php
- Parent Information & Unsubscribe to Listserv: www.cofc.edu/parents
- Public Safety: http://spinner.cofc.edu/publicsafety/
- Registrar (calendars, exams, registration, academics): http://registrar.cofc.edu/
- Residence Life: http://reslife.cofc.edu/
- Email residence life questions to ResLife@cofc.edu
- Student Affairs: http://studentaffairs.cofc.edu/services/index.php
- Treasurer: http://treasurer.cofc.edu/
PROGRAMS FOR NEW STUDENTS:
Summer Orientation starts in June!
The Office of New Student Programs provides 10 two-day summer orientations for new students and their family. If you have an incoming student attending the College of Charleston this fall we ask that parents let your student complete the online orientation registration thru MyCharleston. The orientation registration form includes several questions that the student will need to answer such as information about prior coursework, college course selection, and First-Year Experience interest. If you have orientation questions email email@example.com or call 843-953-2017.
Family members can attend orientation with your student this summer. A family orientation is offered during all ten of the summer orientation dates. The fee is $25.00 per family member. Students can register family members to attend Family Orientation when they register online. However, if your student did not include any family members when they registered for orientation just email firstname.lastname@example.org with your student’s full name and CWID and we will add you! The family orientation is highly evaluated and we encourage parents to attend if possible. To read about Family Orientation visit our website at http://orientation.cofc.edu/orientation/family-orientation.php. If you have questions call New Student Programs at 843-953-2017.
Living – Learning Communities in McConnell Residence Hall (Available to new students August 2011-May-2012):
Living-Learning Communities are designed for incoming freshmen in McConnell Residence Hall. You can find details about this opportunity at http://nsp.cofc.edu/llc/index.php. Each floor has a specific area of interest (Medical, International Business, Communication, Arts) and offers related programming in that area. Live with other freshmen with similar interests! If you have questions call New Student Programs at 843-953-2017.
Summer Preview for new students will be held August 16-20, 2011:
Pre-registration, participation fee and waiver required for this summer program. Details can be found at: http://nsp.cofc.edu/summer-preview/index.php. If you have questions call New Student Programs at 843-953-2017.
Office of New Student Programs: Supporting new students and their families!
To view the programs offered through the Office of New Student Programs visit our website at http://nsp.cofc.edu/index.php (click on the left sidebar for programs which include new student and family Orientation, Summer Preview, Living & Learning Communities in McConnell Residence Hall, and the Provisional program). If you have questions call New Student Programs at 843-953-2017.
FIRST YEAR EXPERIENCE (FYE): www.cofc.edu/fye. FYE is required of all new students beginning 2011-12
Information about the First-Year Experience (FYE) program and course descriptions can be found at www.cofc.edu/fye. All new students with less than one full year of college experience are required to complete FYE during the fall or spring semester of their first year. Students only take one FYE (either a first–year seminar or learning community) during the academic year. This is a part of their general education requirements. For FYE questions email email@example.com or call New Student Programs at 843-953-2017.