CofC Parent Listserv Weekly Updates December 20-26
College of Charleston Office of New Student Programs
The College of Charleston is pleased to provide this electronic forum especially for parents of CofC students. Currently there are 1298 subscribers and we hope that everyone will find the listserv to be a valuable source of information, advice, support and encouragement. During the holidays members may choose to unsubscribe and return at a later time. You can unsubscribe and subscribe to the listserv as many times as you’d like – I’ve posted the link below for unsubscribing. I also want to remind subscribers of the terms and conditions in our listserv agreement. You can find the listserv agreement posted on the parent website at www.cofc.edu/parents. If you do you are not a member of the College of Charleston faculty, staff, student body or a parent of a College of Charleston student or do not agree to the terms and conditions in the agreement you should unsubscribe to the listserv. We value your postings and comments and if we can be of any assistance to you or your student do not hesitate to contact the Office of New Student Programs at 843-953-2017 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can unsubscribe by clicking on this link – parent listservand follow the instructions for unsubscribing. If you need assistance unsubscribing e-mail email@example.com and we can do this for you.
- Dec 22 – fall final grades are posted on MyCharleston
- Dec 23-Jan 3 – College of Charleston closed for the holidays
- College of Charleston reopens at 8:30amEST on January 4, 2011
- Jan 6-7- orientation for new students admitted for the spring semester
- Jan 10 – spring 2011 classes begin
- January 14 is the last day to add or drop classes for the spring 2011 semester
Campus Websites of Interest:
- Like Clockwork: The Rhythm of College Life: http://orientation.cofc.edu/docs/like_clock.pdf
- Parent Information & Resources: www.cofc.edu/parents
- College of Charleston Academic Calendar: http://registrar.cofc.edu/calendars/index.php
Listserv use during the holidays:
There will be no CofC Parent weekly updates posted for the next two weeks on December 27 or January 3. Please note that during the holiday period (December 23-January 3) you may post to the listserv but response from administrators may be limited. Depending on the information you need we may not be able to respond to your inquiry until January 4. We appreciate your patience as we get some much needed rest during this time!
Home for the Holidays: Articles of interest about college students home for the holidays:
During the holidays your student may express unhappiness about school and perhaps they feel they tell you they want to transfer somewhere else. This type of conversation is normal as the honeymoon period is over and students attempt to settle into their college environment. Many students will go thrua whirlwind of emotions during their visit home because they experience a different type of family dynamic and are still making the transition in their new role as a college student. Take the time to simply LISTEN to your student, do not judge and be supportive. Suggest to your student that they stick it out for at least a full year and ask questions about their curricular and co-curricular experiences. Remind your student that there are many clubs, organizations, and opportunities in Charleston that may help them connect with the College and meet new people. Also, be realistic with your student about transferring hours and making the adjustment to another new college environment. Although transferring may sound like an answer it can also make a bad situation worse. Students will adjust to college in their own time – some faster than others, but most will find their place. We find that students are happier when they get involved in things on campus, seek out mentoring relationships with faculty and staff and are engaged in their academic work. Enjoy the time with your student, breathe deeply and remind yourself that you have given your student the skills to be successful in college and in life.
Downtown parking voucher for garage:
You can print out a voucher for two hours of parking in a downtown parking garage during the holiday season from now thru December 31 (see voucher for applicable garages). You can print the voucher from the WCIV – ABC channel 4 news website at: http://www.abcnews4.com/Global/link.asp?L=466507
Checking final grades:
To view grades students can login to MyCharleston at http://my.cofc.edu(student login name & password required). Click on the Academic Services tab at the top of the webpage. On the Academic Services page students will see STUDENT GRADES. Select the 2010 Fall term. The Final Grades for each course will appear once the term is selected. Final grades will be posted on December 22.
GPA Calculators: Provided by the Office of Undergraduate Academic Services: (probation, GPA goal, LIFE scholarship calculators): http://www.cofc.edu/%7Eundrgrad/GPA.html
Academic Advising & Planning Center: Degree worksheets, advising contacts, student resources, general education requirements:
Academic Probation: (Questions should be directed to the Office of Undergraduate Academic Services at 843-953-5674 or firstname.lastname@example.org )
A student is placed on academic probation if he or she fails to meet the minimum scholastic attainment standards. Once placed on probation at the end of semester, a student must show satisfactory academic improvement by the end of the next major semester, regardless of the number of hours earned or attempted, or the student will be subject to dismissal from the College of Charleston. A student placed on academic probation is required to enroll in and successfully complete EDLS-100: Learning Strategies during the next major semester if the student has not already successfully completed the course. This course covers techniques for becoming a more proficient learner. Focus is on strategies for interpretivethinking: comprehension, analysis, reasoning, problem solving, organization and planning. Credits earned in this course are not applied toward degree requirements or cumulative GPA. The spring 2011 course schedule will be reviewed to ensure that students have enrolled in a section of Learning Strategies. Students can enroll in a Learning Strategies course via MyCharleston. Students have until January 14th (this is the last day of drop/add) to add a section of Learning Strategies to their course schedule. Students are encouraged not to wait to enroll in a section of EDLS-100 if a Learning Strategies class is needed at a specific time or day. Search for available days and times for spring 2011 sections of Learning Strategies (EDLS-100) using the CLASS SEARCHfeature in MyCharleston. For more information:
- To read more about academic probation (http://undergrad.cofc.edu/academic-standards/academic-probation.php)
- To read more about the minimum scholastic attainment standards (http://undergrad.cofc.edu/academic-standards/scholastic-attainment.php)
- Questions about academic probation or dismissal: email@example.com (Office of Undergraduate Academic Services)
Applications now being accepted for Orientation Interns during Summer 2011/January 2012:
New Student Programs is recruiting talented and motivated students to be part of the 2011-2012 Orientation Intern Team. These students work during the summer and January orientation program. Being an Orientation Intern is a great way to make connections on campus, meet new friends, and earn valuable work experience! The internship application packet is available for summer 2011 and January 2012 at:
Interested students can bring their completed application packet to the Office of New Student Programs (Lightsey Center Annex building located in front of the entrance to McAlister residence hall) no later than 5:00pm January 19, 2011. Interns must be available for all training and orientation dates and are paid for training time and hours worked during orientation. Selected students will be contacted for a personal interview. Email your questions firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Office of New Student Programs at 843-953-2017.
Off campus housing information:
If looking for off campus housing your student may want to look first at the information posted on the Residence Life website (see link below).There is a tab at the top of this webpage called OFF CAMPUS HOUSING – when you place your mouse over this tab a drop-down menu appears where you can get more information about living off campus. The Residence Life department also has an Off Campus Housing office located at 40 Coming Street where students can go for help. There is also a link provided by Residence Life with additional resources for finding housing and what to watch for (See below).
- Off Campus listings: http://reslife.cofc.edu/?page=offcampus&source=avrp
Additional resources posted at: http://reslife.cofc.edu/?page=additional includes:
- The Charleston Post & Courier, www.charleston.net
- The Charleston City Paper, www.charlestoncitypaper.com
Guidebooks and Web sites:
- Apartment Finder, www.apartmentsnationwide.com
- Apartment Finder Bluebook, www.apartmentbluebook.com
- Apartment Guide, www.apartmentguide.com
- Apartment Ratings, www.aptrating.com
- Apartment Selector, www.aptselector.com (843) 763-5844
- Apartments, Sublets, Roommate Matching, www.historiccharlestonrentals.com, (843) 577-7450
How to become an Ebill Authorized User for your student:
You can receive eBills by having your son/daughter sign you up as an Authorized User on the eBillsystem. This allows you to receive a copy of the bill/statement when we bill the student through the email system. To become an authorized user visit the website at: www.treasurer.cofc.edu. All billing information is sent to the student’s campus email account – to receive the student’s bill you must be an Authorized User! If you have any questions email email@example.com.
If you receive error messages when accessing MyCharleston or your eBill call the IT Department Helpdesk (843.953.3375) to report problems between 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. You may also report problems to the Helpdesk via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Change your subscription to the digest setting:
In digest form you receive one email a day with all the postings to the Listserv. If you would like your subscription changed to the digest format, you can follow the directions at http://www.cofc.edu/pv_obj_cache/pv_obj_id_34F7FC8A30C66266C3B76DDA69F29196B2CB0400/filename/howtochangesubscriptiontype.pdf. If you have any problems changing to digest form email email@example.com.
Using the Listserv:
- If you receive an automated message that you were removed from the listserv or have problems changing your settings or unsubscribing email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Remember to include a SUBJECT in the subject field of your postings to the listserv so subscribers will know what the content of your email is about. NEVER open an email with no subject or click on a random website link within the body of the message. This kind of posting is often a sign that a subscriber’s email has been hacked into and opening the website link may expose your email system to a virus! Be sure to update your virus software.
- To avoid error messages and email bounce backs which may cause you to be unsubscribed include the listserv address COFCPARENT@LISTSERV.COFC.EDU as one of your SAFE SENDERS. This way your email system will not identify listserv postings as SPAM. Members are automatically unsubscribed if the system receives more than 4 error messages from the email account.
- Remember postings should support, inform and encourage – NEVER disrespect or insult!
CofC Parent Listserv:
The parent listserv is an interactive service for administrators to share information and for parents to post questions. The listserv is not moderated and subscribers are responsible for their own postings. This listserv is a resource only for those individuals connected with the College as an employee, student or parent of a student. Discussion should be focused on academic issues as well as questions about opportunities for students. The listserv is not a forum provided for debate, self-promotions, product sales, service complaints, or inquiries about specific student issues (bills, grades, maintenance requests, or roommate problems). By subscribing to the listserv you are confirming that you are a member of the College of Charleston faculty, staff, student body or a parent of a College of Charleston and have reviewed and agree to the terms and conditions of the listserv agreement. If you have questions or concerns about the listserv you may contact the Office of New Student Programs at 843-953-2017 or email email@example.com