May 11 2010

Advising FAQ

Published by

Is there a GPA requirement to graduate with a Neuroscience Minor?

While there is no formal GPA requirement, in order to complete the minor a student needs to register for and complete a Bachelor’s Essay in Neuroscience.  Registration for that course requires permission of the Department Chair and you should inquire about additional requirements within your department.

Do I have to take BIOL/PSYC351 before BIOL/PSYC352?

No.  If you have already taken Psychology 214 then you may enroll in BIOL/PSYC352 first.

If I am in BIOL351, can I change the call number to PSYC351 while I am taking the course or after I have completed the course?

Once the add/drop period is over, a student can no longer change the course designation on any cross-listed Neuroscience courses.

Can I double major in Biology and Psychology and still be a Neuroscience Minor?

The simple answer is yes.  If you choose this path, you may count one of your minor courses towards your Biology degree (e.g. BIOL351) and one of your minor courses towards your Psychology degree (e.g. PSYC352).  The rest of the courses required for the minor must be in addition to your required courses for each major.  No additional courses may double count with your Biology or Psychology degree. Keep in mind that to double major at the College of Charleston, you will need a minimum of 152 credit hours to graduate.

Can I have more than one minor?

Yes, although the College will only allow you to earn 2 different minors.  The only stipulation is that no courses you take can count in more than one of the minors.

Do I have to do an Independent Study for the Neuroscience Minor?

An Independent Study is not required for completion of the Neuroscience Minor.  The only requirement is that a student complete the year-long Bachelor’s Essay in Neuroscience.  However, you might want to consider doing an independent study in the spring semester of your Junior year to try out a lab before committing to a year-long project in your senior year.  For more information and advice about the research requirement, look at our BE guidelines updated document.

Comments Off

Comments are closed at this time.