2019 Master of Public Administration Graduates

Image may contain: 14 people, people smiling, people standing, hat and suitMacy Adams

“I was raised in the Carolinas, graduated from of USC, and am now a proud Cougar alum!  I’ve been lucky in my professional career to wear many hats, as a baker, a jeweler, a research specialist and a tour guide. My favorite hat so far has been that of Community Assistance Program. Over the last two years, I’ve been able to study for my MPA while serving in an amazing office where I’ve learned from some truly inspiring coworkers and an unbelievably perfect supervisor, Ali Titus. Getting to help local nonprofits and government offices build their capacity has been rewarding from both a motivational and educational perspective. Accepting my position here in the Masters of Public Administration program has been the best decision I’ve ever made. I’m so thankful for everyone who has made this journey possible and for those who have helped me along the way. Congratulations to my amazing cohort!”

Ashton Basar

Ashton Basar will be graduating with her Concurrent Masters Degrees in Public Administration and  Environmental Studies. She used the MPA portion of her degree to focus on healthcare related issues and conduct outreach. She learned how to display her research in a way that could help policy makers better understand new findings. Ashton will be moving on to get her PhD in the fall at MUSC in Biomedical science. She would like to thank the MPA program for helping her to never forget to focus on the ones that she will be serving and CofC for leading her to a future career as a professor.

Danielle Bloom

“I have always been drawn to positions that benefit my community in some way, from Parks and Recreation to case management in youth social services. After graduating from Augustana University and working in direct care for two years, I decided to leave my home state of South Dakota to earn my MPA at the College. It was easy to fall in love with Charleston and be inspired to work on issues it faces. I am very grateful for the new community I have found  here, especially the MPA program staff, faculty and my classmates. They truly are some of the best people I know. During my time here, I’ve gained skills and knowledge to contribute to the work being done by local government, the amazing network of nonprofits, and other social justice initiatives in the area.”

Patrick Carlson

“From volunteering at soup kitchens in middle school to leading international outreach programs in college, I have unconsciously laid a thorough foundation for excelling in a career that focuses on the service of others. After graduating from the College of William and Mary, I worked at a nonprofit in New York that granted me a professional introduction to the joys of working for the public benefit.  I’ve lived in Charleston for over five years and my growing love for this city continues to shape my professional goals into a desire to facilitate tangible social change.  I am grateful for my time in this program and the people I have met that will continue to teach and inspire me long after graduation.  I intend to stay in the Lowcountry and work with an organization that bridges gaps, reconciles differences, and creates solutions.”

Brooke Durham

“After working for a few years for an environmental nonprofit, I joined the MPA program to be equipped for leadership in the future. It’s been a crazy two years, and while I won’t miss reading and writing papers, I will definitely miss the time spent learning with a truly amazing group of people. For now, I’m staying in Charleston, keeping my nonprofit job, and focusing on being a mom to my two month old baby girl. In the future, I’ll be looking to take on more of a leadership role in the nonprofit or public sector with a passion for environmental stewardship and justice.”

Steve Fletcher

“My MPA experience has been incredible. I’ve learned so much about what it means to be a just and effective civil servant, and I’ve made friendships that are sure to last a lifetime.  I’m looking forward to starting my next chapter as Community Manager for Charleston nonprofit Lowcountry Local First!

Tranard Harvin

“I am a native of Lane, SC and attended Claflin University. While at Claflin I took on several leadership roles and enjoyed working with the university’s call center as a student manager. I was involved in the Clinton Global Initiative, the Eisenhower Transportation Fellowship and the Young People For Fellowship, and also created the Low Country Youth Enhancement Program  to provide resources for youth and families throughout Williamsburg county. This work continues as I am currently finishing my MPA at the College of Charleston. I plan to continue my studies in the science of public administration and service as I begun my tenure in the Executive Masters in Public Service (EMPS) provided by the Clinton School of Public Service at the University of Arkansas Medical School.”

Nick Mercer

Nick Mercer is graduating from the College of Charleston with a Master of Public Administration. He previously earned a Bachelor’s from Towson University in Baltimore, MD. Throughout graduate school, Nick worked for the Master of Public Administration’s Community Assistance Program where he had the opportunity to work with various nonprofit organizations and local municipalities including the Alliance for Full Acceptance, the Lowcountry Food Bank, the City of Charleston’s Division of Business and Neighborhood Services, and others. Nick concentrated his degree on nonprofit management and social justice and is grateful for the program’s emphasis on the importance of celebrating diversity. Nick recently accepted a Giving Programs Officer position with the South Carolina Aquarium, where he manages the South Carolina Aquarium’s annual giving portfolio. Nick would like to thank his professors and mentors for their support, with a special thanks to Ali Titus, Barbie Schreiner, and Dr. Judy Millesen.

Marla Robertson

Marla is a 2006 undergraduate of the English Department and will graduate with her Master’s in Public Administration in May. She has been a full-time at the College since 2007 where she worked in the Academic, Student, and Business Affairs divisions. She also serves as the Black Student Union staff adviser for the last 5 years. Marla is also a board member of the non-profit organization, PLAN (Post Landfill Action Network). She volunteers to conduct diversity education workshop across multiple departments on campus and remains vehemently dedicated to the support, encouragement, and advancement of black students on campus.

Melanie Seidel

“I am an international student from Germany and came to live in Charleston with my husband two years ago. My background is in arts management and arts education programming in local government in Germany. The MPA program was the perfect step in advancing my knowledge and skills in managing public organizations. I am also completing the arts management certificate which allows me to apply all of what I learned to the arts sector. After graduation, I will work as a development associate for the Halsey Institute of Contemporary Art at the College of Charleston.”

Chloe Stuber

Chloe Stuber entered the MPA program with several years of experience in the nonprofit sector, with a primary focus on social justice issues and strengthening the capacity of grassroots, community-led work. During her time in the MPA program, she served for one year as a graduate assistant with the Community Assistance Program (CAP), and completed a full academic year internship with the City of Charleston Department of Housing and Community Development. In addition to obtaining her MPA, she earned a Certificate in Urban and Regional Planning. Her research has focused on the intersections between equitable development, land use planning and environmental justice issues. Post graduation, she aspires to remain in Charleston to continue her work in this field. Like the politics-administration dichotomy, the lines between life and work are blurred for Chloe (I couldn’t resist!). In her spare time she can be found at neighborhood associations and other community meetings, the climbing gym, public hearings, on the trails, council meetings, the beach, public actions and demonstrations, or home cooking with her dog Mahtli and cat Billie. She also turns 30 this month!

Lucas Hernandez
Master of Public Administration & Master of Environmental Studies

John Lambert
Master of Public Administration

Lee Bundrick

Joseph Coz