With Who: ABET
Location: Baltimore, MD
Type of Employment: Full-time
Position Description: The Director, Communications and Marketing plays a critical role in the development and executing a communications and marketing plan to engage constituents and build confidence in the benefits of ABET’s core products and services to our growing constituency. S/he is responsible for planning, development and implementation of the marketing, branding initiatives and communications (internal and external) of our organization.
As a highly skilled communications and marketing professional, s/he must have a deep understanding of ABET’s core purpose, the global business environment and cultural sensitivity. S/he must demonstrate diplomatic skills that will ensure the success of ABET’s global marketing efforts. S/he must also understand ABET’s core business and constituents, including familiarity with the structure and governance of higher education, accreditation processes, the role of accreditation in influencing institutional and industrial policies, as well as trends in technical education, on a national and international level.
This position reports to the COO and works with senior staff as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives to ensure consistent communications and brand positioning.
(Other duties may be assigned.)
- Marketing, Communications and Public Relations:
- Responsible for creating, implementing and measuring the success of a comprehensive marketing, communications and public relations program that is consistent with ABET’s values and purpose that will enhance the Organization’s image, position within the marketplace, and facilitate appropriate internal and external communications.
- Responsible for creating and measuring the success of all marketing, communications and public relations activities and materials including publications, media relations, and client acquisition.
- Ensure articulation and consistent communications of ABET’s desired image and position, both internally and externally.
- Coordinate media interest in the Organization and ensure regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests.
- Act as the Organization’s representative with the media.
- Ensure that the Organization regularly conducts relevant market research and coordinate and oversee this activity. Monitor trends.
- Responsible for the development, implementation, and analysis of customer surveys – both internal and external
- Lead special communications and marketing related projects as assigned.
- Event Promotion and Marketing:
- Use market research to segment and define target audiences, refine and improve product value proposition, and develop and implement the optimum market-penetration strategy.
- Leverage data and analytics to understand and measure the effectiveness of marketing programs to raise awareness and enhance the ABET brand.
- Develops segmentation, competitive analysis/market intelligence, prospecting, lead generation, market development, pricing, promotions, communications to support ABET in increasing event attendance and driving revenue growth.
- Work closely with the COO to develop and implement a strategy to promote ABET’s educational offerings that is aligned with the overall organizational brand and strategic goals.
- Develops sponsorship and exhibit programs for specific events and meetings when appropriate, supporting all HQ departments.
- Organizational Strategy:
- Work with staff and volunteers to develop and maintain a strategic perspective — based on marketplace and constituent needs and satisfaction to ensure the overall health and vitality of the Organization.
- Develop means to seek regular input from the Organization’s key constituencies regarding the quality of programs and services and the Organization’s relevance.
- Act as an internal consultant to bring attention and solutions to priorities.
- Department Operations:
- Maintain a climate that attracts, retains and motivates top quality personnel, both paid and volunteer, by emanating the ABET values.
- Design, support and oversee cross-functional teams throughout the Organization.
- Enable staff to take action on behalf of the Organization by:
- developing a culture that embraces ABET’s core values
- providing direction and resources, removing barriers and helping develop people’s skills
- articulating expectations and clarifying roles and relationships;
- anticipating conflicts and facilitating resolution;
- nurturing a climate of accountability
- Planning and Budgeting:
- Responsible for the achievement of marketing/communications/public relations mission, goals and financial objectives. Ensure that evaluation systems are in place related to these goals and objectives and report progress on a regular basis.
- Develop financial plans and budgets for the marketing and communications department and its activities. Assure adherence to, and evaluate performance of, departmental budgets.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Directly supervise assigned department personnel. Conduct supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- At least 15 years’ relevant experience, preferably in the not-for-profit or association sector.
- Project management experience.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Experience developing and managing budgets.
- Experience in a not-for profit organization or higher education institution is a plus.
- Global experience, working with multicultural teams and stakeholders.
- Experience working with volunteers is desirable.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to inspire confidence through mature leadership skills that demonstrate high levels of awareness, empathy, cooperation, humility and discretion.
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing and communications projects.
- Critical thinking ability needed to understand ABET’s values, organizational structure, processes and external positioning within the larger context of trends in higher education, accreditation and the technical professions.
- Ability to anticipate and identify opportunities to advance ABET’s values and brand in different environments and with a diverse set of stakeholders.
- Superior editing skills, including grammar, spelling and brevity appropriate to specific formats.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a high-performing, quality-driven, team-based environment.
- Effective negotiation skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Apply (or see more information): Submit your application today via the Alumni Career Center! (Technical difficulties? Please contact the Office of Alumni Affairs at 843-953-5630 for assistance.) Or search other opportunities on the portal: https://alumnijobs.cofc.edu/jobs