The Mathematical Sciences Graduate Program at the College of Charleston offers master’s degrees in mathematics and statistics (as well as certificates in statistics and operations research). Even though our application deadline has officially passed, we are still accepting new students with financial support.
- Our program is very good for students who want to earn a PhD in the mathematical sciences but do not yet have the qualifications to get into their desired programs. We get them ready for those programs with coursework and an optional master’s thesis. Last year, our graduates enrolled in PhD programs at Duke University and North Carolina State University.
- Our program is also a good choice for students who whose aim is to earn a master’s degree before beginning a career. Since we have no PhD students here, our master’s and certificate students receive our full attention. Alumni of our program work as mathematicians, statisticians, and analysts at places like Citibank in New York, the Naval Information Warfare Center in North Charleston, Boeing, the Medical University of South Carolina, IBM, and Booz Allen Hamilton. Others with just an MS from our program are teaching at places like St. Edwards University, Trident Technical College and Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College.
- Because our faculty are internationally recognized in our fields of research, our reputations and connections help alumni of our program find good jobs or admission to doctoral programs at other institutions.
- Most of our students receive financial support in the form of a graduate assistantship or fellowship.
- As I mentioned above, we have degree and certificate programs in statistics, operations research, and mathematics (both pure and applied). It is our belief that whichever one of these is your primary area of interest, you will benefit from learning about all of them and their connections.
- Check out these videos of alumni talking about our program and their career paths
- Finally, let us mention that Charleston is a wonderful city to live in and the College of Charleston has a beautiful campus. Our program consists mostly of in-person classes, so you can really enjoy all of the advantages of this wonderful city and campus.