Meet Grace Timko, Woodfin Fellow in Fiction

Grace Timko is our Woodfin Fellow in Fiction (2018-20). She is an Editorial Assistant at Crazyhorse. Her short story “Witching Season” appeared recently in HitchLit. We asked Grace to tell us a little bit more about about her story and about her experiences in the first year of the MFA Program and in Charleston.

Q: Where are you from, and what school did you attend for undergrad?

GT: I grew up in central New Jersey, about five minutes from the beach. I graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in English with a Writing Concentration from Gettysburg College in Gettysburg, PA.

Q: What made you decide to come to the College of Charleston for your MFA?

GT: I was drawn to CofC because of how young the program is. I felt that the faculty and students would be excited to shape the program for future emerging writers, which made me excited to potentially be a part of the process. I could definitely feel this motivation and enthusiasm when I spoke to Bret Lott on the phone during the decision-making process. Then he mentioned the sunny, seventy-degree weather while I was stuck inside in rainy Pennsylvania. The program was the change that I was looking for as a restless soon-to-be graduate.

Q: What are your thoughts on the program so far? What’s your favorite thing about it?

GT: I’m constantly challenged by my professors and encouraged to move outside my comfort zone as a writer. While leaving the northeast seemed like a big enough push, I found that there was much more—enriching—discomfort to be had in the program. My professors and peers have been incredibly supportive in urging me into a space where I can experiment and take risks with my writing style. I’m so thankful to be a part of this community of writers.

Q: What do you like most about Charleston?

GT: Mainly, I love that I’m never bored here—there’s always something to do, whether it’s eating out or exploring the city or something that just happens to fall into my lap. Many people had told me that Charleston was full of inspiration for writers like myself. Prior to this year, I preferred to shut myself away in my room to write. But I’ve found that I like the city’s background noise and writing outside. It’s busy here, but I can always find a little nook under some Spanish moss within walking distance. My appreciation for being outside and in nature has really grown since being here, and I believe this has also filtered through in my writing.

Q: What are your plans after your earn your MFA degree?

GT: The short answer is I’m not sure! My experience as an editorial assistant at Crazyhorse has only solidified my interest in editorial work. I would love to pursue something in this field after graduation. I’m excited to discover what these plans will be and where they will take me, but I’m enjoying the time I have now in Charleston.