Meet Dakota Reed, Woodfin Fellow in Poetry

Dakota Reed is our Woodfin Fellow in Poetry (2018-20). She is an Editorial Assistant at Crazyhorse and a Teaching Mentor in the Bahrain Program. We asked Dakota to tell us a little bit more about about her story and about her experiences in the first year of the MFA Program and in Charleston.

Q: Where are you from, and what school did you attend for undergrad?

DR: I’m from Georgia. I grew up just north of Atlanta and got my Bachelor’s degree from the University of Georgia, where I studied English and interned for The Georgia Review.

Q: What made you decide to come to the College of Charleston for your MFA?

DR: My dad often took us on trips to Charleston when I was growing up and I always thought (and hoped) I’d live here someday. When it came time to apply to different graduate programs, College of Charleston felt like an obvious choice. I also had an old professor approach me about applying for MFA programs in general, and when I asked him what schools he’d recommend, the College was the first place he mentioned. It instantly sparked my interest.

Q: What are your thoughts on the program so far? What’s your favorite thing about it?

DR: I’ve been here just shy of six months, and the program already feels like home in so many ways. All the professors are incredibly encouraging of our work and are eager to help us hone our craft and find the right places to submit our writing. We’re really lucky, too, to have such an array of opportunities at our fingertips. I work as an Editorial Assistant for Crazyhorse, which has been a fantastic learning experience. Additionally, this spring semester, I’m going to be teaching creative writing at the University of Bahrain via Skype. Then in April, the College will be flying those of us teaching these classes out to Bahrain to actually meet our students and have a week of in-person teaching sessions and ceremonies. I am beyond thrilled and thankful to be a part of something so momentous.

Q: What’s your favorite thing about Charleston?

DR: The food! I love to cook so it’s great being able to go to a nearby fish market and buy fresh local seafood. Living downtown, essentially all restaurants are within walking distance from my house, which is just a dream. It’s just so nice being able to walk to dinner, or to grab a drink. The weather is also an enormous blessing! That may sound trite, but being someone who goes into total hibernation mode as soon as it drops below fifty degrees, I really feel as if I thrive here. It certainly won’t be easy to leave once I finish the program.

Q: What are your plans after you earn your MFA degree?

DR: I’m not entirely sure yet! One opportunity the program offers is a post-MFA teaching fellowship, which is an idea I’ve been giving some thought. I’ve also considered the possibility of trying to get my Ph.D. so that I could maybe go on to be a professor of English and writing. I am young, though, so I still have quite a bit of traveling I’d like to do—and with it I’m certain will come some prime writing inspiration!