Great news! The Division of Marketing and Communications is excited to implement a new campus calendar solution – Active Calendar. Although it has a similar name to our previous calendar system, the new Active Calendar is a much more visually appealing and intuitive solution.
A few of the new Active Calendar features include:
- Online, mobile-friendly, public calendar
- Offsite hosting
- Intuitive interface for users, admins and managers
- Increased organizational efficiency (i.e., an ability to sort by common tags)
- Easier search capabilities
- Multiple viewing options
What You Need to Know
- The digital marketing team is doing a soft launch of the new calendar on August 11, 2016, with full implementation by August 15, 2016.
- All existing events within the current Campus Calendar have been migrated to the new Active Calendar.
- A MarComm team member will contact each school marketing liaison regarding the upgrade.
- Any individual calendar event feeds for schools, departments, or program pages will need a new ID (it’s a simple process).
To Submit an Event for the Calendar:
- visit the campus calendar – calendar.cofc.edu
- select the “Sign In” link on the top right of the header
- create an account
After creating and verifying your account via an email from the calendar system, you may then login and select the gold “Create an Event” button at the top of the screen.
Tagging the Events
When submitting your events, make sure that the event uses a common tag for your specific area as the feeds for your websites will be pulled from this specific tag. It is possible to use multiple tags in order for a user to conduct an effective search.
For example, if I am submitting an event for a musical presented by the Department of Theatre and Dance within the School of the Arts, I would add tags for “theatre and dance” and “school of the arts”. I may also add tags for “music”, “drama” or “play”. The additional tags will assist a user in finding the event if they were to search for related terms such as “drama”.
For non-academic offices or departments
If you are an administrative office or department, the nomenclature for the tag should use the official title of the office or department per the COFC Style Guide without “Office of” or “Department of”, etc.
For example, the tag for an event created by the “Center for International Education” would be “International Education“.
If you are unable to determine the best uniform event tag for creating a specialized feed for your area, you may contact the firstname.lastname@example.org for guidance.
NOTE: It is possible that an event that was not entered for your specific area would appear within your feed due to other users entering the same tag as your specific tag. If this occurs, please contact the email@example.com to determine the best viable solution.