Markdown for “creating websites” page
### Notes and Experiments on using blogs.cofc.edu for full-scale web sites
I have found that the WordPress software used for these blogs makes it far easier to create and maintain a somewhat professional-looking web-site than traditional free HTML editors, which is why this is now my main web site at the College. So I am collecting here a few notes on tools and tricks that I have found useful.
* The **tools** described so far are plug-ins to allow _quick markup_ of content, including _mathematical notation_.
* The main **trick** so far is that one can move beyond the usual reverse chronological collection of a blog by using static pages and lists of links. So I plan to soon add notes on _pages_, _sub-pages_, and _lists of links_.
The first *notes* are/will be:
1. Using the [WordPress][wordpress] plug-in [JetPack][jetpack] plugin to [enable and use LaTeX-like markup](http://wp.me/P1YwYm-j) of mathematical notation in these blogs.
**Warnings:** level one headings cannot be used! Level two headings come out too small!! So start at level 3!!!
2. Using the WordPress plug-in [Markdown on Save][markdown on save] to enable John Gruber’s [Markdown][markdown] notation for quick markup formatting of a page, without the verbosity of HTML markup. This page itself is created using Markdown: to see (roughly) what I typed in to create it, see [the markdown source for this page](/lemesurierb/using-these-blogs-as-full-websites/markdown-for-creating-websites-page/)
#### References ####
1. [http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/][markdown]: John Gruber’s [Markdown][markdown] markup language
1. [http://en.support.wordpress.com/latex/][jetpack-latex]: using latex-style markup in these blogs
1. [http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/jetpack/][jetpack]: the plug-in [JetPack][jetpack]
1. [http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/markdown-on-save/][markdown on save]: the plug-in [Markdown on Save](http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/markdown-on-save/)
0. [wordpress.org][wordpress]: our host (software)
[markdown]: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/ (Markdown manual)
[jetpack-latex]: http://en.support.wordpress.com/latex/ (Manual for latex-style markup in WordPress with JetPack)
[jetpack]: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/jetpack/ (JetPack plug-in)
[markdown on save]: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/markdown-on-save/ (Markdown on Save plug-in)