IT has implemented a new academically focused media service (Kaltura) that will give you (faculty) better options to deliver audio and video content while making the process of uploading, publishing and sharing media easier!
Kaltura is a new media service that functions much like YouTube and is available for College faculty. It offers four ways to record and publish media:
- Media Upload – upload a video or audio file that already exists on your computer
- Webcam Recording – record a video using a webcam connected to your computer
- Video Presentations – sync a video and file available in your Kaltura library to create a cohesive presentation
- Screen Recording – record a screencast that will capture everything occurring on your computer within a designated area including audio and/or video.
- Upload tutorials and online lectures
- House student created media projects
- Embed videos in OAKS (Learning Management System)
- Share links to videos for student viewing
- Easy interface (similar to YouTube)
- Simple video management (organize your content, search media, moderate comments, create playlists)
- Accessibility and closed captions features (supports playback with ADA/508 compliant video players)
- Options for privacy (set videos to be private, by invitation only, or public)
- Easy sharing options (share link or embed video)
- Discussion features (enable/disable comments linked to video)
Logging in to Kaltura
All College faculty already have a Kaltura account. Just open a web browser and go to https://cofc.mediaspace.kaltura.com. Sign in using your Cougars username (without the ‘@cofc.edu’) and Cougars password. Students can also access Kaltura to upload videos for your classes. However, students will need to first login with their Cougars username and password in order for an account to be generated.
Training & Tutorials
Visit http://blogs.cofc.edu/tlttutorials to access the Kaltura tutorial created by Teaching, Learning and Technology (type Kaltura in the search box or access the tutorial directly at http://blogs.cofc.edu/tlttutorials/2013/10/16/kaltura-mediaspace).
Sound too good to be true? Well, watch the quick (3 minute) overview video that covers the simple steps to upload, publish and share a video.
For questions or feedback contact Helpdesk@cofc.edu. Please note that copyright protected material cannot be uploaded to Kaltura MediaSpace.