On January 21, 2017, the Women’s March on Washington gathered half a million people to promote inclusivity, activism and community. Those that couldn’t make it to D.C. participated in Sister Marches all around the world, including Charleston, SC. These Sister Marches gathered an estimated 4.9 million people.

Brittlebank Park the day of the Women’s March.

According to the group’s mission, “We work peacefully while recognizing there is no true peace without justice and equality for all. HEAR OUR VOICE.”

That is exactly what our students set out to do.

According to Rafael Martin Navas, a women’s and gender studies major and Spanish minor, it was important to march for his daughter. “I chose to walk in the Women’s March in Charleston for many reasons. I am passionate about social justice, immigration, environmental issues and a lack of equality in our society. But my main reason for marching is my daughter. I don’t want her to have less rights or opportunities because her gender.”

Rafael Martin Navas with his daughter at the march.

Annika Liger, an anthropology and history double major, felt hopeful. “For me, the march was a reminder that millions of people throughout the United States and the world care about and support each other regardless of gender, sexual orientation, race, or background, and that hateful and discriminatory words can be challenged and called out for what they are,” Annika says.

Tessa (on the left) and her roommate Anna Lollis waiting for instructions from their marshall outside of the St. Phillips Street garage.

Tessa Torgovitsky, a women’s and gender studies major, enjoyed the unity that the march represented. Tessa says: “This march was a way for everyone to see that we reject the direction our nation is taking thanks to those in power. We came together as a unified voice, and it was powerful. What’s important now is making sure the movement does not lose momentum.”