by: Maisy Deans

I am currently a junior majoring in psychology and minoring in political science. I work in Dr. Reid’s Social Psychology lab on campus at the College of Charleston. This past fall, 2016, I was accepted to present our research at the Society of Southeastern Social Psychologists (SSSP) conference in Asheville, NC. SSSP was founded by a group of social psychologists in 1978 and every year they host a nationwide conference where students, faculty and professional psychologists meet to share their research. I was awarded the School of Humanities and Social Sciences travel award, which made this inspiring opportunity possible.

deanswelchsssp

Maisy Deans is pictured on the right.

The conference was such a new and exciting experience for me, one that I will remember forever, as it was my first psychology conference. I am very interested in learning about the self and relationships. At the conference, I attended several talks about new research on intimate connections, personal motivations, and the influence of perceived partner commitment. Additionally, I presented our research poster, and explained our study and its findings to attendees at the conference. I learned so much from this experience, both by presenting and by listening. It was especially amazing to meet with other aspiring psychologists and to discuss current research and future ideas. I look forward to continuing work in the social psychology lab, and I am so grateful to the School of Humanities and Social Sciences for helping me attend the SSSP Conference.

Maisy was awarded the HSS Travel Award, which was made possible by donations to the HSS Dean’s Excellence Fund. To help fund student conference travel, internships and other experiential learning opportunities, donate to the fund today!