Katherine explains:

“Since studying abroad with Dr. Westerfelhaus in Austria, Germany, and Italy, he has been an amazing support system for me. Not only is he a phenomenal and knowledgeable professor, but a true role model and friend. He always knows how to help me draw from my strengths and learn from my weaknesses. He has truly helped me embrace who I am and the person I am becoming. I know that I will have a lifelong

Katherine receiving the Bishop Robert Smith Award

friendship with Dr. Westerfelhaus, and for that I am so grateful.

Additionally, I would not be half the person I am today without the love and support from my family. I have the most loving parents anyone could ever ask for. They have helped me grow into the person I am today, and will continue to support me no matter what. I have been so fortunate to attend the school I wanted to so far from home. I owe this award to my parents who allowed me to follow my dreams and move far from home to discover myself.

I could go on for days about how passionate I am about the College of Charleston, and how much it has done for me both personally and professionally. I can’t say thank you enough to all of the wonderful people I have encountered throughout my time here who have had an impact on me.”

Dr. Beth Goodier notes about Katherine:

Dr. Westerfelhas and Katherine at the award ceremony

“I have known ‘Kat’ for the past two years having worked with her as a student in my class and in several of her leadership roles across campus. As Chair of the Department of Communication, I am uniquely positioned to comment on both her academic excellence and demonstrations of leadership. I first met Kat as a student in my Organizational Communication course.  Though the course had close to 60 students enrolled, Kat stood out from the beginning.As a student, Kat is prepared, engaged, and intellectually curious.”

To learn more about the Bishop Robert Smith Award, click here.