_JMK0705

If you are looking for someone to proofread your next college paper or assignment, Flannery is the girl for the job! (I better make sure this post doesn’t have any spelling errors or misplaced commas!) Flannery Winchester is a (busy) senior in the Honors College majoring in English and minoring in French and Linguistics. She has managed to make the most of her college career by taking advantage of opportunities to study abroad and intern. In addition to day-to-day college-related activities, Flannery launched a freelance editing business, The Word Weeder. Cool, right?

My time at CofC has been awesome! I lived in Buist and then Rutledge for my first and second years, respectively, and for the last two years I have lived in a campus historic house. I studied abroad in Paris during the spring of my sophomore year, which was a blast. During spring of my junior year I had an internship with Sylvan Dell Publishing in Mount Pleasant, in addition to my spring course load. During this past year I have also had a part time job at Ann Taylor Factory Store at Tanger Outlets in North Charleston.”

Flannery and her fiance in the Cistern

Flannery is currently working on a bachelor’s essay about the portrayal of female characters in fantasy literature. Department of English Professor Trish Ward is advising the project that has Flannery reading a range of fantasy literature—from classics like Lord of the RingsDragonriders of Pern, and The Chronicles of Narnia to new fantasy novels like Daughter of Smoke and Bone and The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, and The Name of the Wind.

“… I am [also] addressing recent popular fantasy books like the Harry Potter, Hunger Games, and Twilight series, because they also portray very interesting (and contrasting!) pictures of females.

After graduation, Flannery will marry her fiancé on August 10th in Nashville and continue to freelance and manage her editing business.

Do you want to be featured on our blog?  If so, go here.