Honors Engaged Liaisons

A team of peer liaisons guides first-year students through the Honors Engaged program.  Liaisons have prior experience with the tracks and organizations they work with, typically through Honors Engaged in their first-year. This makes them an excellent source of guidance and advice.

Liaisons should always be the first point of contact for students with questions about the tracks and organizations.  Sometimes representatives from an organization will request that students communicate with them directly. In these cases, students should also maintain consistent communication with their liaison.

Liaisons will hold meetings with their groups periodically throughout the year. They will work with students to schedule a time that works for the group. All students are required to attend these meetings if possible.

2021-2022 Honors Engaged Liaisons

Peyton Baxley
Hi! My name is Peyton Baxley, and I’m a junior at CofC. I am double majoring in English and International Studies with a European Concentration. This past summer, I worked selling crystals and jewelry for a local artist. I enjoy reading, cooking, and plants. I decided to become a liaison to help the next generation of Honors College members understand the value of community outreach. Although being on a college campus can make you feel isolated from the city itself, Charleston is an integral part of the lives of any College of Charleston student; therefore, having a positive impact upon the said community is vital. I want to help other CofC students take this crucial step within my role as a liaison!

Celia Campbell

Hey everyone! My name is Celia Campbell, and I’m a junior at CofC. I’m originally from the Charleston area. I’m majoring in biology with a minor in chemistry and hope to go to medical school one day. Besides being a liaison, I am involved with the Women in Stem Club and the Pre-Med Honor Society (Alpha Epsilon Delta) on campus. I also volunteer at the MUSC Children’s Hospital in my free time and work in the catering business. Some of my hobbies include running, playing basketball, and reading. I also love food, so if you need any good restaurant suggestions, just ask!

Emily Chafin

Hi everyone! My name is Emily Chafin and I am a senior at the College. I am a Data Science major from Aiken, SC. When I’m not in class or at a club meeting, you’ll find me paddleboarding in Shem Creek or relaxing at the beach. I look forward to being more deeply involved in the Charleston community as an Honors Engaged liaison!

Emily Davis

Hey y’all! My name is Emily Davis and I’m currently a Senior studying Molecular Biology from Williamston, South Carolina. Aside from being a Honors Engaged Liaison, I’m a Resident Assistant at McAlister Residence Hall, a Building Manager at the Stern Student Center, and the Social Chair for the Women in STEM club on campus. Outside of the College, I enjoy backpacking and hiking with my Greyhound, Ophelia. I’m looking forward to helping first year students engage directly with the Charleston community through local organizations and create an open dialogue about the critical issues that our community faces.

Emily Dombrowski

Emily Dombrowski, NOAA Scholarship Recipient

Hello! My name is Emily Dombrowski. I’m a junior, and I study marine biology and French. I research temperature’s effect on marine organisms, and I currently study horseshoe crabs out at Grice Marine Lab. My favorite off campus activities include walking around the city, going to the local farmers markets, and trying new restaurants. I have been volunteering with the Lonon Foundation since my freshman year, and look forward to working with the Honors College this year!

Gracyn Drury

Hi everyone! I am Gracyn Drury and I’m a sophomore at the college from Bluffton, SC. I am studying biology and plan to go to medical school to have a career in dermatology. Some of my favorite things to do in Charleston are go on runs with the running club, volunteer at Lowcountry Foodbank, hang out with friends, and look for the best coffee shop in town. I am so excited to meet and work with y’all!

Zaria Killingsworth

Hi! My name is Zaria Killingsworth and I am a sophomore. I am majoring in chemistry and on the pre-med track with a minor in Medical Humanities. I am a certified EMT and working towards becoming a surgeon. I am excited to work with all of you this year!

Hannah Lanier

Hi everyone and welcome to Charleston! My name is Hannah Lanier. I am a sophomore majoring in History and Secondary Education, with a minor in Spanish. On campus, I work with the Center for Student Learning as a Spanish tutor and am also a Beyond George Street peer facilitator. I am also a member of Sigma Kappa! In my free time I love to read, bake, and run. I can’t wait to meet you all!

Liza Malcolm

My name is Liza Malcolm and I am a sophomore in the Honors College. I am a double major in International Studies with a concentration in Global Studies and Public Health (B.S.). I also am pursuing minors in Political Science and Data Science. My academic interests are global women’s and children’s health, reproductive justice, and intersectional feminism. I am currently a research assistant for the Women’s Health Research Team. Additionally, I am the president of CougarVotes and community liaison for CofC’s Planned Parenthood Generation Action chapter. In my free time, I enjoy eating sushi, listening to indie rock music, and watching foreign films. I look forward to working with you all placed in the Liberty, Justice, and Democracy track of Deliberative Democracy.

Megan Mazzei

My name is Megan Mazzei, and I am a senior honors student at the College of Charleston. I am a biology major and a Spanish minor. I am currently doing cancer research at MUSC, and plan to attend medical school to become an oncologist, while applying my Spanish studies to help reduce the impacts of language barriers on health care quality. Peer mentoring has always had a substantial impact on my life, especially in the academic setting. As a freshman in the Honors College, I had a wonderful Honors Engaged liaison that helped to spark a passion for civil service in the Charleston community, and this prompted me to become a liaison this year. I hope to help facilitate a similar experience for the next class of honors students and continue to grow and learn with them!

Grace McGrew

Hi! My name is Grace McGrew. I am a senior majoring in Marine Biology with a pre-vet focus, from Miamisburg, Ohio. I am also a part of the cross country and track and field teams here at the College. I decided to be a peer liaison because I learned so much from my honors engaged experience and want to help other students do the same. I can’t wait to meet the class of 2025!

Darby Watford

Hi! My name is Darby Watford and I am a sophomore from Sumter, SC. I am double majoring in Psychology and German with a minor in Neuroscience on the pre-med track. Besides being an Honors Engaged Liaison, I am involved in CHAARG, American Cancer Society Relay for Life,
and Vida Volunteer. I am also a Research Assistant in the neuropsychology department at
MUSC. My hobbies include going for walks/runs around the city, thrifting, and geeking out about all things 80’s. I am so excited to be your Liaison and cannot wait to meet you!

Jack Watson

Hey everyone! My name is Jack Watson, and I am a sophomore in the Honors College from Indiana majoring in International Studies, Political Science, and French. Outside of school, I love to paint, bike, go thrifting, and try new restaurants in Charleston. This summer, I worked at the Green Heart Project as a crew leader for their Youth Internship Program, and I am super excited to serve as an Honors Engaged Liaison this year! The Green Heart Project works at the intersection of education, food access, and community engagement, which is why I love it so much. Can’t wait to work with you all soon and get out there in the garden!

Nathaniel Williams

Howdy Y’all!, My name is Nathaniel Williams hailing from Rock Hill, SC. I’m majoring in Economics and am a transfer student here in the Honors College. I’ve previously studied Arabic (مرحبا) and worked as a data analyst for Heading Home, a nonprofit agency fighting homelessness in Albuquerque, NM. I really love cycling, rugby, photography, and food. I’m really excited to get to know y’all and hear how you’re getting used to campus while exploring some of the biggest social issues facing Charleston.

Honors Faculty/Staff Support Team

Dr. Brooke Permenter, Director of Student Engagement

Dr. Jennifer Cavalli, Associate Director of Student Engagement

Isabelle Morris, Graduate Assistant for the Honors First-Year Experience

Elizabeth Quarles, Graduate Assistant for the Honors First-Year Experience