Students who focus on the Deliberative Democracy track for the entire year commit to engaging a critical issue in the Charleston community by participating in approved campus and community discussions, committees, and other deliberative events. Students in each project track meet as a group every other week with their project liaison to research opportunities, plan group attendance, and report back on previous opportunities.
Each project track is based on one or more related United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, and has been identified as a critical issue by individuals and organizations in the Charleston community.
In each project track, students should constantly consider the following four questions:
1. What specific issues in this track are affecting Charleston?
2. What groups and/or organizations are currently attempting to address these issues?
3. How can people get involved?
4. What additional initiatives need to be undertaken?
Housing and Transportation
- Sustainable Development Goal 8: Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Sustainable Development Goal 9: Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- Sustainable Development Goal 11: Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- Sustainable Development Goal 2: End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Sustainable Development Goal 12: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
Health and Wellness
- Sustainable Development Goal 3: Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
Liberty, Justice and Democracy
- Sustainable Development Goal 1: End poverty in all its forms everywhere.
- Sustainable Development Goal 5: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Sustainable Development Goal 10: Reduce inequality within and among countries
- Sustainable Development Goal 16: Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
- Sustainable Development Goal 4: Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Sustainable Development Goal 13: Take urgent action to combat climate change.
- Sustainable Development Goal 14: Conserve and sustainable use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development.
- Sustainable Development Goal 15: Protect, restore, and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainable manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss.