How One Honors Student is Voicing the Weather for NPR Berlin

StephanieSelker“My name is Stephanie Selker and I’m a rising sophomore in the Honors College with a double major in Political Science and German. This summer, I’m interning for 10 weeks at National Public Radio in Washington, D.C. with NPR Berlin and NPR Worldwide. I’m about halfway through my internship and so far, it’s going really well! NPR Berlin and NPR Worldwide is in the programming department, and the team is responsible for all of the content and scheduling of the NPR Berlin, NPR Worldwide, Sirius XM, and the Armed Forces channels. Because of that, I get to do a lot of audio editing for promos of shows, as well as editing content that goes up on NPR Berlin’s website. I also get to voice the weather a couple days a week, and recently, I got to voice some parts of promos for NPR’s Fourth of July Special. Additionally, I got on-air credit in helping produce an NPR Special.”

During the school year, Stephanie and fellow Honors student, Maria Carrillo-Marquina, hosted a podcast for CisternYard radio entitled “Tuesdays with 215.” On their show they interviewed their peers, professors, and fellow community members about topics they found interesting ranging from friendship to fortune telling. Though they mainly focused on storytelling, they often incorporated music as well.

StephanieTinyDesk

“It’s kind of crazy hearing myself on NPR, but it’s certainly cool! As interns, there are a lot of trainings and presentations that we go to, to help better our understanding of the industry we’re in. We also get to go to the Tiny Desk Concerts put on by NPR music, which is such an awesome experience. It’s incredible working right next to podcasts like Invisibilia and TED Radio hour, or seeing radio hosts like Ari Shapiro walking around the building. All in all, I’m learning so much and meeting some really cool people, and I’m extremely grateful for this opportunity.”

You can tune in on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 11:06 or 4:00 pm to hear Stephanie do the weather report on NPR Berlin (nprberlin.de). As for the future, Stephanie hopes to somehow be involved in politics and to study abroad in Germany before she graduates!

,