Our department is made up of historians who study a variety of interesting topics, including medieval Europe, ancient Egypt, and the American Civil War. Associate professor Jacob Steere-Williams‘ research focuses on the history of disease and medicine. As the world navigates the COVID-19 crisis, Steere-Williams has shared his expertise on pandemics and public health in articles for the Post and Courier, the Charleston City Paper, and CNN. You can read his work here:
- Trump’s outrageous suggestion comes with a dark history
- Charleston learned the hard way what happens when you end quarantine too soon
- Epidemics past and present provide context for coronavirus
- Start remembering this pandemic now
- For Charleston, outbreaks and epidemics are a key part of history.