Ground Penetrating Radar Exploration at the Old Exchange Building

This past week, interns and faculty had the opportunity to assist archaeologists and historians from the community with ground penetrating radar exploration in the Old Exchange and Provost Dungeon on East Bay Street. The circa 1771 building sits atop earlier fortifications and building foundations. The group hoped to find the size and location of the watch house, constructed between 1699 and 1703. Scott Harris from the College of Charleston’s geology department generously donated his time and equipment. Dr. Nic Butler of the Mayor’s Walled City Task Force, Tony Youmans of the Old Exchange and Provost Dungeon, Martha Zeirden from the Charleston Museum, and C of C faculty members Dr. Grant Gilmore and Dr. Barry Stiefel participated. Details will be forthcoming after the Scott’s lab and interns have a chance to process the data.