- Do not open emails or email links from unknown senders.
- Do not download or stream media from suspicious websites.
- Be careful of links from social networking sites. If you do not know the person sending you a link, it is safe to assume it has a virus.
- Do not click on pop-up windows. They are also a good sign of a website you shouldn’t trust.
- Make sure your computer is up-to-date. Even the littler programs like Java and Adobe Flash are important to update.
- Remember the College of Charleston Helpdesk will NEVER ask you for your username and password over email.
A few tips to help keep your computer clean from malware and spyware
By Brent Cobb | Published: April 18, 2012