The Graduate School proudly presents the 9th annual Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) Competition!
The Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) is a research communication competition developed by The University of Queensland in Australia. Graduate students have three minutes to present a compelling oration on their thesis/internship/research project and its significance. The exercise fosters academic, presentation, and research communication skills, while developing students’ abilities to effectively explain their research in language appropriate to a non-specialist audience.
This year’s competition will be Monday, November 14, 4-6pm, Addlestone Library, Room 227. Applications are due Friday, October 14, 5pm to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A single static PowerPoint slide (no slide transitions, animations, or movement of any description; the slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration) is permitted.
- No additional electronic media (e.g., sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g., notecards, costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are to be memorized in spoken word (e.g., no poems, raps, or songs).
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts the presentation through movement or speech.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.
1st place: $500 and an opportunity to participate in the regional competition
2nd place: $250
People’s Choice: $200
Watch our 2021 Winners!
First Place: Shannon Bley, MS. Marine Biology https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M968C4awPww
Second Place (2 Winners): Bryan Granger, M.S. Data Science and Analytics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjPJsXWQXpY
Lucas Vaughan, M.S. Mathematical Sciences https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnjXsdWhrZI
People’s Choice (2 Winners): Delaney Drake, M.S. Marine Biology https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3VcOaTpJDo
Judith Taylor, M.S. Environmental and Sustainability Studies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9hLPGCx9FA&t=2s
APPLY NOW!! The application can be found on our website: https://gradschool.cofc.edu/documents/3mt-application.pdf. Completed applications are due by Friday, October 14 at 5pm and should be submitted to email@example.com.
For more information visit https://gradschool.cofc.edu/current-students/3mt-competition.php. If you have questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at 843.953.5614.