Ask the Grad Office!
Have a question for the staff in the Graduate School Office? “Ask the Grad Office” is our FAQ series, where we work to answer our most frequently asked questions from our current students. Have a question you’d like answered in a future post? Submit your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org, or message us on Instagram @cofcgradschool!
Believe it or not, Spring 2021 is right around the corner! Make sure you’re ready to register for Spring 2021 courses by checking your account for registration holds, which would prevent you from registering once registration begins. Follow our step-by-step guide to checking for holds!
First, you’ll need to log in to your MyCharleston account. Then, click on the “Academic Services” tab.
From there, you’ll scroll down to the “Banner Self Service” section, which is about half-way down the screen near “Appointment Manager” and “GPA Calculators”.
In this section, you’ll need to click on “Student”, followed by “Student Records”, and scroll down to “View Holds”. It’s right at the top!
On the “View Holds” screen, you’ll be able to see all the information about your account holds and use the information to resolve the issue so you can register for classes.
- Hold Type: indicates what is the cause of the hold, including any documents needed in order to resolve the hold. Common holds types include:
- General Graduate School Hold – typically for conditionally admitted students who need special permissions to register for classes
- Final Transcript Required – the Graduate School never received an official transcript from your undergraduate institution showing your undergraduate degree posted
- Immunization: Non-compliant – Student Health Services is missing your immunization records. Student Health Services can be reached at 843.953.5520
- Lawful Presence Not Verified – Student needs to complete the Lawful Presence document before registering
- From Date: When the hold was placed on the account
- To Date: placeholder date, will be updated when the hold is lifted
- Amount: if there is a dollar amount associated with the hold
- Reason: Why the hold was placed
- Originator: The office or place of origin
- Processes Affected: Usually Registration
Registration for Spring 2021 courses starts Thursday, November 5th for all Degree and Certificate students (MA, MAT, MBA, MED, MFA, MPA, MS, CER), and Tuesday, December 1st for all non-degree students (NDG).