Student Opportunities: Internships, Scholarships, and Submissions to Literary Journals
Although the semester is almost over, there are opportunities abound for English students to pursue over the break!
internships & scholarships
Charleston magazine, one of the city’s premier magazines since 1975, is offering an internship opportunity for those interested in writing, editing, and publishing.
- The position is unpaid, but eligible for college credit. It requires a 15 hours/week commitment.
- Interested applicants should email Editorial Assistant Samantha Connors with a resume and a few writing samples.
Reedsy National Creative Writing Scholarship and Sponsorship Program is encouraging student applications, and is open to those working in Creative Writing, English, Writing, Professional Writing, Liberal Arts, Theatre, Communications, and New Media.
- The program offers 1 cash award of $1000 bi-annually with renewal upon reasonable progress
- The program also has 5 sponsorship opportunities
- Creative writing applicants must have completed the first chapter of a novel they are currently writing, or have written but not published.
- Eligible students should submit their applications to email@example.com by February 21, 2018.
- More information can be found at: https://blog.reedsy.com/scholarship/
creative writing submissions to contests or journals
The South Carolina Academy of Authors is holding a few contests with due dates on December 17, 2017, including the Student Prizes in Poetry and in Fiction with awards of $1000.
- Applicants must be 18- 25, legal residents of South Carolina, and enrolled full-time at a private or public South Carolina institution of higher education.
- Proof of enrollment must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- More information can be found at: scacademyofauthors.org
Here are a couple exclusively undergraduate literary journals accepting submissions, for any Creative Writing minors or non-minors who might not have heard:
- 30 North, which can be found at 30northblog.wordpress.com/submissions/ and accepts poetry, fiction, creative non-fiction, and art.
- Susquehanna Review, at susquehannareview.com/submissions, which accepts fiction, non-fiction, poetry, art, and translation submissions year round.
And last but not least, the College of Charleston’s literary and arts magazine Miscellany is accepting submissions for the Spring 2018 issue.
- They are interested in poetry, prose, and visual arts from our creative student body.
- All submissions are handled through its Submittable page, the link to which can be found on their blog at blogs.cofc.edu/miscellany/
- Their digital archives have also been updated, so you can now view the most recent issue of Miscellany online and have something good to read over the break!