header image

Alumni Spotlight: Claire Newman ‘16

Posted by: murphys2 | September 12, 2019 | No Comment |

Claire Newman studied physical education teacher education (PETE) at the College of Charleston. She is now a Professional Research Assistant at the University of Colorado Hospital in Denver. Students in the PETE program graduate with a wealth of knowledge and hands-on experiences that prepare them for a variety of careers.

What are your responsibilities as a Professional Research Assistant?

I am part of a large study called MoTrPAC (Molecular Transducers of Physical Activity Consortium). In this role, I run Cardio-pulmonary Exercise Tests (CPETS), maximum strength tests, familiarize participants on exercise procedures, train participants in a 1 on 1 and 2 on 1 environment in both endurance and strength aspects of exercise; process bio specimens such as muscle tissue, adipose tissue, and blood; coordinate visits to ensure they run smoothly; and numerous miscellaneous tasks to help my department (the IMAGE group) be as successful as possible.

How do you feel your time and experiences at the College of Charleston has helped you in your career?

The College of Charleston provided me opportunities to thrive in a variety of environments. I had the honor of being a student-athlete, as well as graduate from the Honors College. My experiences allowed me to establish efficient time management skills, develop a strong work ethic, and learn how to be successful in all aspects of life; all of which made my transition to a full-time position much easier. The smaller classroom environments and numerous outreach opportunities helped me network and create contacts that I still utilize.

What advice would you give to a Physical Education Teacher Education undergraduate?

Undergraduates should take advantage of all opportunities. I encourage them to explore various interests and to not feel pigeon-holed into one career. Also, the professors in the PETE program are there to help you be successful and are extremely supportive, so develop relationships with them.

under: School News
Tags:

Leave a response -

Your response:

Categories