Student Spotlight: Eliza Starr, First Freshman Computer Science Intern at Boeing

Eliza StarrEliza Starr has accepted a summer 2016 internship with Boeing’s Charleston IT group. The first freshman intern hired by the IT group, Starr will be involved in web development and several projects throughout the summer. Boeing, the world’s largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial jetliners and defense, space, and security systems, frequently partners with the College and serves on the Joint Industrial Advisory Board for the department.

As Starr’s first real-world experience, she expects a steep learning curve, with success and failure, while developing her professional skills.  “Admittedly, I am intimidated by this internship because it is my first ‘real person’ job and Boeing is a massive, exciting, and innovative company.  However, after my first few days in the IT department, I am earnestly impressed by how kind, welcoming, and helpful my teammates are. I am very grateful and excited for this opportunity,” says Starr.

Starr participated in the Honors College program, entrepreneurship living learning community (e-LLC), during her freshman year. “The Honors College e-LLC is a group of students from a variety of majors who share a common passion for innovation and want to actively bring their ideas to fruition,” states Lancie Affonso, Director of e-LLC. “Throughout the year these students are given the opportunity to engage in a number of high-impact experiential learning opportunities aimed at inspiring innovation and acknowledging the entrepreneurial mindset.” Students in the program took HONS 205, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, and participated in events like ICAT Genius Hour, where Starr connected with her Boeing mentors.

To learn more about internships through the department, please visit: Internship page.