Where: Columbia, SC
The Vice President of Development and Communications is an exciting new leadership position at WREN, South Carolina’s leading gender justice advocacy organization. WREN’s mission is to build a movement to advance the health, economic well-being, and rights of women, girls, gender expansive people, and their families in South Carolina.
The VP of Development and Communications will be charged with increasing WREN’s philanthropic support, visibility, and public engagement at a historic moment for the movement for equality, freedom, and justice in the Southeast. Part of the leadership team, the VP will report to WREN’s COO, work closely with the CEO and Board, and manage a talented team. They will help shape the future of the organization and the gender justice movement in the Southeast.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary range: $90,000 – $100,000
Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, 12 weeks parental leave, paid time off and holidays, contribution to retirement plan, and support for professional development.
This is a full-time position, based in Columbia, SC, with some flexibility for remote work within the state of South Carolina. Regular in-state travel and some additional domestic travel will be required. Some evening and weekend hours may be required.
The VP will have responsibility for raising support and visibility for WREN among donors, the media, and the public. They will develop and oversee a strategy that increases philanthropic support and public engagement in our mission.
- Develop and oversee implementation of a multi-year fundraising strategy, with initial goals of raising $2 million annually
- Develop and execute new fundraising campaigns to support strategic opportunities for growth and impact
- Spearhead major gift fundraising, including managing and building a portfolio
- Oversee foundation fundraising, annual and mid-level giving programs, and effective and consistent donor engagement and communications
- Develop and oversee the implementation of a strategic, cohesive communications strategy for the organization, including branding, marketing, and public relations activities that increase engagement in WREN’s mission
- Oversee development and execution of communications campaigns for fundraising and brand engagement
- Represent organization with media, partners, and public
- Oversee coordination of website, social media, public relations, and special projects.
- Oversee production of selected special events
Internal Management, Communication and Coordination:
- Lead a team of two development and communications professionals, with additional support from consultants and vendors
- Manage department budget
- Work closely with CEO and Board on strategy, donor engagement, and fundraising
- Collaborate with Policy and Programs team to ensure effective support for the organization’s policy and programmatic initiatives
- Facilitate effective internal communications that will translate into compelling and engaging external communication messages and materials
The ideal candidate will be a dynamic and seasoned leader with significant experience raising funds and public support for mission-oriented organizations. They will be well-versed and fluent in the current issues and opportunities related to gender equity and justice, and they will demonstrate personal and professional commitment to expanding rights and justice in the Southern United States. They will be creative, strategic, persuasive, thoughtful, and they will be able to communicate both a long-term vision and immediate opportunities with people from many diverse backgrounds and life experiences. They will be committed to learning, growth, and development, and will help cultivate a work culture that fosters the same.
Desired qualifications include:
- 10+ years’ experience in fundraising and communications roles at leadership level for mission-oriented organizations
- Demonstrated track record in identifying and securing significant philanthropic support, including 6+ figure investments from individuals, foundations, and corporations
- Demonstrated track record in building effective communications, media, and public relations strategies, campaigns, or initiatives
- Experience in developing strategic plans, with the ability to translate high-level plans into successful operational plans
- Excellent management skills, with a track record of motivating and leading a high-performance, high-trust team
- Experience building an inclusive and supportive organizational culture
- Experience in building strong and effective relationships with diverse partners from different communities
- An excellent communicator, with stellar presentation, writing, and speaking skills for diverse audiences
- Ability to juggle both long-range plans with short-term needs and opportunities
- Proficiency in Raisers Edge NXT, Word Press, and design software
- Aligned with principles of Gender Justice and able to incorporate into daily practices and partnerships; skilled at conveying and living these principles with internal and external stakeholders
How to Apply
WREN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, or military service.
Please email cover letter, resume, three references, and any accommodations requests to email@example.com.