With Who: The Citadel
Location: Charleston, SC
Employment Type: Full-time, Salaried
Position Description: The Social Media and Content Strategist plays a critical role in the Office of Communications and Marketing (OCM)’s ability to transmit integrated messaging to target audiences across an array of new and traditional media. This position is responsible for projects that enhance the awareness and understanding of The Citadel, positions The Citadel as the premier choice for higher education, and supports enrollment goals for the Corps of Cadets, graduate college, college transfer and veterans programs.
The Social Media and Content Strategist will serve as the lead social media strategist for The Citadel’s central brand pages and write creative content for marketing and search engine optimization initiatives. They will also assist the Director of Marketing in advertising strategy, media buying, and the development of existing and forthcoming brand campaigns.
- Social Media management: The Social Media and Content Strategist serves as the lead social media strategist for The Citadel’s central brand pages. Responsible for the promotion of the college’s brand by creating a strategic plan for social media, collecting and creating content, and posting to the appropriate channel(s); Manage social media coverage for major college events; Monitor and recommend strategies for response to social media sentiment; Identify emerging social media outlets, trends and tactics; Routinely analyze key performance metrics.
- Advertising strategy and media buying: Negotiate contracts for advertising, and facilitate internal purchasing processes; Manage relationships with external vendors to oversee proper implementation of contracts; Manage the college’s Google AdWords account; Identify new opportunities or emerging advertising tactics to reach target audiences.
- Creative writing: Write content for marketing and search engine optimization initiatives, with projects including (but not limited to): blog posts, social media copy, student profiles, web copy, campaign slogans, radio scripts, etc.
- Content collection and project management: Meet with students and campus stakeholders to explore and identify topics and stories for video-based brand campaigns; coordinate video/photoshoots as necessary; Collect testimonials and success stories from students and alumni for inclusion in advertising, recruitment outreach and program webpages.
- Miscellaneous: Represent OCM on councils and committees as needed. Other duties as assigned.
Notes: The Social Media and Content Strategist will work occasional weekends to facilitate social media coverage during major college events. They will periodically work early morning or evening hours to assist photographer or videographer with select marketing or communications projects. Overnight travel may occasionally be required for professional development.
The Social Media and Content Strategist reports to the Director of Marketing. The ideal candidate must be able to work autonomously, but is also capable of leading projects where they will work closely with a variety of persons and teams. This position resides in the college’s central communications and marketing office.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, advertising, communications, writing, or related field
- At least two years of professional marketing experience
- Professional experience in social media management
- Must be comfortable creating, editing and posting content across social media platforms on behalf of a nationally recognized brand
- Competence in the Adobe Creative Suite is a must
- Professional creative writing experience
- Attention to detail and excellent multi-tasking capabilities
- Is equal parts creative and analytical
- Is a self-starter who thrives in a collaborative setting
- Excellent written and communications skills
- Must possess and demonstrate good judgment and confidence to complete competing priorities, and the ability to work with grace under pressure
- Has passion for brand storytelling and keeping up with the latest marketing technology trends.
- Experience with Google AdWords, WordPress and Sprout Social preferred
- Basic video editing and/or higher education experience is a plus
Application Deadline: Tuesday, August 31, 2021
Apply (or request more information): For more information or to apply, please visit the Citadel Jobs site.
Megan GouldMegan Gould
- CofC Grad School: Seeks Director of Marketing and Recruitment - October 24, 2021
- CofC Institutional Events: Seeks Administrative Support Specialist - October 10, 2021
- DART: Careers in Community Organizing for Social Justice - September 17, 2021