With Who: Texas A&M Athletics
Location: College Station, TX
Type of Employment: Full-time
Summary of Priorities:
Texas A&M Athletics is looking for the right people to become part of the team of Communications Sports Media Specialists to tell the story of our nationally-recognized sports programs. We are looking for two individuals; one to lead communications related to our nationally-ranked Texas A&M Women’s Basketball and Women’s Golf programs, and one for the nationally-ranked Texas A&M Track & Field and Cross Country. These are rare openings. The Communications Sports Media team develops strategy and content for specific sports within the Athletics Department. Successfully leading these efforts means possessing a positive attitude that leads to productive engagement with Texas A&M staff, current and former student-athletes, the general public and news media. Primary to this effort will be the development of effective storytelling campaigns that lead to a unified brand story: the most important, valuable aspect of this endeavor. The collaborative internal effort must provide effective solutions for external issues, effectively bringing to life the personal stories of all Texas A&M student-athletes, coaches, and staff members, including game and competitive match coverage and promotion.
Job Description and Expectations:
These positions will serve as liaison between the Athletics Department and all aspects of media including traditional media such as print, radio, and television, and all digital and emerging media. Primary responsibilities include original releases, features and advisories; managing and guiding the strategy and tone of social media platforms for team and department accounts; overseeing layout and production of printed collateral; supervision of student assistants; computation of statistics; dissemination of information to various media; serving as the primary liaison between assigned sports teams and news media to arrange interviews and other media requests received by Texas A&M athletics.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience. PREFERRED: Work experience in an athletics media relations/communications department.
- At least two years of experience in related field such as media relations, sports information, communications, public relations, digital media or journalism.
- Ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with others. Feature writing ability. Team travel required. Some nights, weekends and holidays as required to complete assigned task and sports coverage.
- The successful candidates should work toward being trusted leaders, exhibit a creative spirit, seek to empower others and possess the following traits: Character, Competence, Confidence, Creativity and be the right fit, working to develop a productive Chemistry with Texas A&M external staff and coaches.
- Other basic expectations include the following traits and skillsets:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to balance and lead various projects, often simultaneously, under often tight deadlines
- Have an understanding of your target audience
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse group of individuals
- Experience with various Adobe software programs
- Creativity and Innovation are a driver for you in your work environment
- Ability to work cooperatively with the various divisions within the Athletic Department
- Work to bring a world-class experience to Texas A&M student athletes
- Possess an understanding of NCAA and rules set by the Southeastern Conference
Apply (or see more job posting information): Submit your application today! Texas A&M Athletics Job Application
Megan GouldMegan Gould
- Her Campus Media: Seeking Writers - January 15, 2021
- MUSC: Seeks Marketing and Student Recruitment Specialist - January 15, 2021
- MUSC: Seeks Global Health Communications Program Coordinator - January 15, 2021