Special Events and Fundraising Internship
Office of Development
Hollings Cancer Center
Medical University of South Carolina
The Intern will work on various details for the special events at the Hollings Cancer Center.
- Business and Professional Etiquette
- Excellent Phone, Computer, Writing and Organizational Skills
SPECIAL EVENTS DUTIES:
- Assist in maintaining volunteer contact list and communications with volunteers
- Recruit volunteers for Hollings Cancer Center fundraising events
- Develop job responsibilities and train volunteers for various fundraising events.
- Work with Hollings Cancer Center staff and event organizers to develop volunteer needs and responsibilities
- Develop an introduction and training guide for all volunteer opportunities
- As scheduling permits, supervise and manage volunteers at the following fundraising events
- Intern will serve as the volunteers’ point of contact at events
9/15/2014– Hollings Cancer Center’s 19th Annual Golf Tournament
- 8AM-3PM- Turtle Point Course, Kiawah Island Golf Resort
9/2014- The Pink Card Campaign and Pink Night Out
- 4-7 p.m.- Tanger Outlets, North Charleston SC
9/2014- LoCo Motion
Bluffton and Hilton Head Island, SC
9/28/2014- Jerry Zucker Ride for Hope
- 6AM-11AM- Awendaw
9/28/2014- Taste of Charleston
- 9AM-4PM- Boone Hall Plantation, Mt. Pleasant SC
10/2014- The Point Is 6th Annual Camp for a Cause
- Wadmalaw Island, SC
11/7-9/2014- Racuets for Recovery
- Pine Forest Country Club Summerville, SC
11/15/2014- Knology’s 5K Pajama Run
- 8AM-11 AM- Waterfront Park Mt. Pleasant, SC
- Manage Volunteer Stewardship and Follow Up
- Prepare follow up material to include thank you notes and interest in future participation
This internship is an opportunity for a student to get hands-on experience with community and individual relationship building as well as a chance to be a part of a special events team for a National Cancer Institute designated cancer center and distinguished university hospital. The intern will be given real responsibilities and projects to take on as their own; accountability is essential for this internship. There will be contact with our key community partners, board members, donors, and volunteers for the intern to develop their network of connections.
The largest event is the Hollings Cancer Center 18th Annual Golf Tournament which is held on Kiawah Islands prestigious Turtle Point- Monday September 15, 2014. Attendance to this and other special events throughout the fall is requested.
This is an UNPAID internship. Hollings Cancer Center will provide reimbursement for any mileage or expenses incurred for events during the internship.
This internship will be for the Fall 2014 semester. We would prefer a consistent schedule throughout the week: however, we are flexible and understanding of a student’s class schedule. We are looking for about 8-15 hours per week. To realize the full potential of the management and supervisory roles of the internship, we request that the intern be present at the above mentioned events. For the right candidate, opportunity for student to intern the entire academic year.
Please email a resume and cover letter to:
Director of Special Events