With Who: Society of American Military Engineers
Location: Alexandria, VA
Type of Employment: Full-time
Position Description: The SAME Associate Editor/Communications Specialist is responsible for the overall accuracy of the organization’s national communications materials, to include print publications, online websites, membership collateral, marketing and promotional items, and events programs and materials. In addition to core writing and editing responsibilities, the individual is expected to develop a deep and detailed understanding of the organization’s mission, history, and strategic direction in order to be a valuable asset to an array of communications and research efforts. The position reports to the Communications Associate Director/TME Editor-in-Chief.
- TME Magazine:
- Oversees coordination of article proposals, final manuscripts, graphics and images for The Military Engineer, SAME’s bi-monthly magazine, working in accordance with the editorial and production calendar to publish six issues each year.
- Follows established style and format guidelines to provide clean, “print-ready” content to Editor-in-Chief and Graphic Designer.
- Leads magazine quality control, including editing and proofreading all text, and reviewing artwork, page layout and printer’s proofs to ensure accuracy.
- Works with Graphic Designer and Editor-in-Chief on graphic/image and cover selection for the magazine, as well as layout and design of interior articles, columns, in-house advertisements, and special features.
- Writes, edits and copy-edits bi-monthly columns, articles, and features as applicable.
- Develops relationships with and leads outreach with the military engineering services and other federal agencies (including service liaison officers and public affairs staff) for submission of special annual articles, features, and other content throughout the year for both print and online.
- Develops relationships with and leads outreach with SAME members, local Posts, national Communities of Interest, Academy of Fellows, SAME Foundation, and other organizational stakeholders for submission of Society-related news, interviews, features, and other content throughout the year for both print and online.
- Works with Contributing Editors, SAME Executive Director, SAME President and others to ensure materials are submitted on time and editorial guidelines are met.
- Helps develop annual editorial calendar in consult with Editor-in-Chief.
- Leads content coordination and content creation for TME Online, the companion website to TME, to include posting new issues of the magazine each issue, publishing online-only articles, and conducting QA/QC to ensure a strong online presence.
- Handles TME archival requests from SAME members and external parties.
- Coordinates annual Toulmin Medal award program (best article in TME), to include inviting judges, mailing materials, and tracking scores.
- Organizational Support:
- Leads and supports as-assigned special projects related to SAME communications and research efforts.
- Writes and edits articles, posts content, and oversees QA/QC for SAME’s blog Bricks & Clicks.
- Contributes content and edits/proofreads SAME monthly e-newsletter, Real TiME.
- Edits and proofreads content for on-site programs for SAME major national events (and assists with editing event website content as needed).
- Edits and proofreads flyers, marketing materials, brochures, and signage for SAME events, continuing education programs, and other national activities as applicable.
- Composes press releases for SAME national events, award winners, new Fellows, etc.
- Assists with editing/proofreading national awards and medals, certificates, table cards, etc.
- Provides research assistance of SAME archives for internal and external needs.
- Contributes to SAME social media accounts, including Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, etc.
- Provides editing/writing/research support to each department within the National Office.
- Stays abreast of industry trends to be a resource both inside and outside the National Office.
- Willingness to learn and grow new communications-related capabilities to support evolving organizational needs (i.e., podcast editing, website support, video work, etc.).
- Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university in Communications, English, Journalism, or related field.
- Minimum five years of experience working in editing, writing, communications and marketing in print and/or online media.
- Experience with professional associations or technical publications a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent editing, writing, proofreading, and research skills.
- Strong understanding of project management principles.
- Exacting attention to detail.
- Expert in English grammar.
- Knowledge of AP Stylebook standards.
- Fluency in word processing programs and Microsoft Office suite.
- Proficiency with Adode and PowerPoint; familiarity with InDesign and InCopy programs.
- Familiarity with HTML and content management systems (specifically, WordPress/DNN).
- Ability to establish relationships and deal tactfully with public and private sector stakeholders, volunteer authors, and contributing editors at both junior and senior levels.
- Ability to multi-task and work in deadline-driven environment.
- Self-starter who can work independently and stay in front of a cyclical workload.
- Strong inter-personal communication skills.
- Comfortability working in a collaborative atmosphere.
- Good listener who welcomes input from internal and external sources.
- Strong analytical skills, with an ability to synthesize high-level topics for a diverse audience.
- Creative, agile, and adaptable thinker who is able to develop engaging and accessible ways to share messages across a variety of mediums.
- Interest in growing professionally and taking on new and exciting challenges.
- Ability to travel one to three times a year.
Apply (or see more information): Submit your application today via the Alumni Career Center! (Technical difficulties? Please contact the Office of Alumni Affairs at 843-953-5630 for assistance.) Or search other opportunities on the portal: https://alumnijobs.cofc.edu/jobs
Latest posts by Megan Gould (see all)
- Charleston City Paper: Seeks Music Intern (Fall 2020) - June 29, 2020
- Charleston City Paper: Seeks Editorial Intern (Fall 2020) - June 29, 2020
- Darkness to Light: Seeks Communications Intern (Fall 2020) - June 29, 2020