Science Communication Specialist
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources (SCDNR) is looking for an early-career science communicator to join its outreach team. This position will work closely with the Marine Resources Division’s media and communication coordinator to share the division’s research, education, and fisheries management stories with nontechnical audiences.
About SCDNR’s Marine Resources Division: The SCDNR Marine Resources Division’s mission is to serve as the advocate for and steward of the state’s marine resources. Studying everything from algae to tiger sharks, our staff of biologists, fisheries managers, and educators work to protect and conserve South Carolina’s coastal waters and wildlife for future generations. Learn more at DNR.SC.GOV.
Location: This position is based at the SCDNR Marine Resources Center in Charleston, SC.
- Work closely with media coordinator and research staff to produce print, video, audio, and web products for research projects and outreach campaigns as needed
- Assist with long-term and weekly development of social media strategy and content
- Analyze social media metrics and identify opportunities to better engage with audience
- Report, write, and edit regular stories for S.C. Coastal Resources blog
- Maintain photo/video library and join research staff in the field to update collections as needed
- Bachelor’s degree (or coursework leading to degree) in communication and/or science field(s)
- Excellent writing and copyediting skills, with experience writing about scientific topics for a general audience
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn about marine biology and natural resource science
- Proficiency in writing for social media channels including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Ability to work collaboratively to achieve shared goals and outcomes
Photography, videography, and/or graphic design experience a plus
Hours/Pay: Hours worked will not exceed 40/week. Pay is $10/hr.
Contact: Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, three samples of writing and/or visual work (published preferred), and three professional references to Erin Weeks at email@example.com with “Science Communication Specialist” in the subject line. Application deadline is May 25, 2018.
Cierra SeidCierra Seid
- Media Relations Internship with Milwaukee Brewers - December 20, 2018
- Research Scholars Opportunity with University of Delaware - December 13, 2018
- HubSpot Inbound Marketing Intern - December 13, 2018