With Who: Rochester Institute of Technology
Location: Rochester, NY
Type of Employment: Full-time
Position Description: The Kate Gleason College of Engineering (KGCOE) Dean’s Office Communication Specialist plans and implements effective communication strategies to advance the mission of the College and to communicate with its constituents and stakeholders. The Communication Specialist reports to the Dean of Engineering and works collaboratively with the University’s Marketing and Communication division to promote the College in a manner that is consistent with RIT’s brand. Working independently and collaboratively, the Communication Specialist identifies, researches, fact checks, creates, and disseminates information through social media outlets, websites, newsletters, email, print publications, and information displays. The Specialist is responsible for maintaining the College’s website and social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.) as well as monitoring and acting upon the associated analytics. The Communication Specialist routinely creates, oversees, coordinates, and assists with the creation of a variety of printed and electronic materials that involve writing and editing text, creating and selecting graphics, procuring and selecting photos and video clips. The Communication Specialist serves as the College’s primary liaison to the University’s Marketing and Communication Division and as a resource to faculty and staff who want to generate promotional materials.
- Oversee the College of Engineering web pages:
- Serve as the content coordinator for the College of Engineering web pages
- Serve as the primary liaison to University Web Services
- Proactively work with academic departments and the University Web Services to ensure that the College’s web pages promote our mission and support RIT’s brand. This may include coaching and advising staff responsible for updating department-level websites.
- Conceptualize and create/edit/acquire high-quality web text, image, and video content
- Proactively monitor and maintain (edit/update) the website to ensure accuracy, relevance, currency, and functionality
- Manage the College’s social media presence
- Establish a positive social media presence that enhances the College’s brand and supports its strategic priorities:
- Research, write copy and create graphic content for social media outlets
- Develop, approve, and schedule daily content for social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and others).
- Optimize content streams to engage with target audiences and influencers
- Monitor, report, and act upon social media analytics
- Work with KGCOE Departments to develop, coordinate and implement social media communication and outreach plans
- Oversee, coordinate, or support the creation and distribution of promotional and informational materials and correspondence:
- Develop and implement an annual communication plan for the College
- Work with the Division of Marketing and Communications at RIT to support the publication of news and events and the production of promotional materials (brochures, catalogs, videos, ads, etc.)
- Research concepts, fact check, and draft original copy appropriate for different audiences
- Create and disseminate internal and external e-news letters to engage constituents and stakeholders
- Develop accurate and visually appealing posters, brochures, flyers, programs, newsletters, invitations, presentations, and message board posts.
- Assist in the development, implementation and monitoring of environmental branding and College-specific event coordination and collateral.
- Help faculty and staff create informational materials that adhere to the visual identity standards of the university
- Draft, edit and proofread correspondence from the Dean’s Office
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Marketing, Communications, or related field.
- In-depth knowledge of social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Pinterest, Blog etc.) and experience using them to support the goals of a professional organization.
- Experience with creating effective web content (text, image video) and technical skills required to update content
- Experience using the technology needed to support key job requirements (i.e. various social media platforms, advanced Microsoft Office Suite Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access); Google Docs, Adobe Creative Suite. Ability to learn new technologies quickly.
- Excellent written, verbal, and visual communications skills; ability to write compelling and error-free text that targets specific audiences; ability to create visually appealing graphics consistent with RITs style guide.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to work with a variety of constituents and stakeholders as part of a team to achieve common goals
- Ability to work independently to troubleshoot problems, manage multiple projects, and set priorities to meet deadlines.
- Must be coachable and willing to coach others.
- Attention to detail to ensure accuracy and consistency of documents, website, etc.
Optional: Interest in science, technology, and engineering is a plus.
Apply (or request more information): Apply today! In order to be considered for this position, you must apply for it at: http://careers.rit.edu/staff. Click the link for search openings and in the keyword search field, enter the title of the position or the BR number.
The direct link to this posting can be found here: https://sjobs.brassring.com/