With Who: Mercer County Community College
Location: West Windsor, NJ
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Position Description: Under limited supervision, this position assists in executing strategies developed by the Public Relations department to build and strengthen the College’s presence and brand. The position plays a crucial role in developing the overall messaging of internal and external communications. This position helps to oversee guidelines and policies for messaging, and provides quality control for communications programs. The position manages internal and external communication directives provided by the Director of Public Relations, supporting communications, marketing, fundraising and overall College strategic objectives. This position requires strong written communication skills, a self-starter and an idea generator who can collaborate well and lead with informal authority.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates and posts original, engaging and branded content across MCCC social media channels and all media formats.
- Develops editorial calendars for social content.
- Produces metrics to measure success of social media campaigns.
- Listens across social media platforms for students needing to connect with admissions or advising staff and helps them to do so.
- Coordinates with the owners of social media accounts affiliated with the College and communicates best practices and branding strategies.
- Gathers material for and writes news stories, blogs and articles about College events, institutional and faculty achievements, student and alumni success stories, timely educational issues, program development and more.
- Maintains communication with journalists across multiple platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, and discussion forums; stays abreast of evolving public relations strategies regarding social media and news distribution.
- Monitors media and tracks results from news releases and communication initiatives.
- Manages the College’s email marketing and communications platform, creating email templates, assisting in developing campaigns, drafting messaging content, distributing messages and analyzing results.
- Assists in drafting and distributing news releases and facilitates media/photo interviews. Pitches stories for distribution/publication.
- Edits event stories, publications copy. Contributes stories and photos to websites and publications.
- Attends college-sponsored events and either photographs or manages photographers to capture appropriate images based on the College’s strategic messaging.
- Builds and fosters collaborative relationships with other departments within the organization to stay informed and abreast of new initiatives, programs, etc.
- Delivers quality customer services to both internal and external constituents in a professional, helpful and courteous manner.
- This position requires a flexible schedule including evening and weekend hours and may require travel.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications: Minimum Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and 3 to 5 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience in communications, journalism, marketing or public relations.
- Two years professional experience writing and editing content for social media platforms Demonstration of excellent writing ability.
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office and Internet search proficiency.
- Strong familiarity with social media platforms, and a drive to stay current with online communications trends.
- Ability to maintain sensitivity, understanding and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to work with short deadlines, manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work effectively with a wide range of staff, under limited supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly communicate both tasks accomplished and future needs to supervisor and team members.
- Experience in an academic institution desirable.
- Physical Demands. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Work Environment. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- There are numerous visitors to the office who may require immediate attention. This employee must be able to deal with frequent interruptions and reorganization of priorities on any given day and must be able to interact with a variety of constituents in a pleasant, professional manner.
Apply (or request more information): Apply today on the MCCC Jobs Site site!
Megan GouldMegan Gould
- Her Campus Media: Seeking Writers - January 15, 2021
- MUSC: Seeks Marketing and Student Recruitment Specialist - January 15, 2021
- MUSC: Seeks Global Health Communications Program Coordinator - January 15, 2021