Location: Charleston, SC
Dates: August 9, 2021 – April 30, 2022 (start date flexible)
Employment Type: Part-time, Hourly, On-Campus
Compensation: $11 per hour
Position Description: The Gender & Sexuality Equity Center (GSEC) at CofC is looking for an enthusiastic marketing and social media assistant to join our team. This position requires someone who is fluent in content creation, has an artistic eye, and is confident navigating Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok. You will be the point person responsible for building our audience and awareness and scaling our social following and engagement. GSEC’s mission and purpose is to advocate for a culture of resistance against inequality, judgment, prejudice and bias in all its forms – and we are looking for someone who shares our vision!
Job Description and Qualifications: This position will be 10 hours/week and can start as early as August 2021 (start date flexible) and will last through April of 2022. The role will be virtual with the exception of attending GSEC Committee meetings and providing support at some GSEC events, COVID-19 restrictions pending. We are happy to work with your academic schedule. Must have access to a personal laptop.
In this role, you’ll be helping to share GSEC’s mission, programs, and resources creatively across multiple social media platforms and some print materials. You’ll be working with the GSEC Executive Committee and communicating with our partner organizations on campus to cross-promote events and resources and help to streamline messaging. Some website updates may be required, so experience with web updates will be a plus (the College uses Cascade). Canva experience is a must.
Core Skill-Set and Responsibilities:
- Creatively work with the entire GSEC Executive Committee to apply our practices and philosophy to a cohesive social media strategy and carry out content launches
- Report on the performance of posts and written content within each specific channel;
- Maintain best practices for all processes around social media channels and related content;
- Research external applicable resources and events to cross-promote
- Current student (from any major) who has a strong interest in marketing, an artistic eye, and the ability to turn around marketing materials and posts quickly
- Lived experience or activism pertaining to marginalized or minoritized identities preferred and valued
- Some experience in social media including planning, managing, and analyzing content
- Experience using Canva to create effective marketing materials
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- An initiator and self-starter, someone who is driven by our mission, and who can think creatively about reaching and engaging audiences
What We’re Offering:
- $11/hour for 10 hours/week; 14 weeks in the Fall and 14 weeks in the Spring
- Develop your leadership potential with the opportunity to sit on our GSEC Executive Committee and work with our team to advocate for and promote equality across campus.
- A fun and inclusive environment with supportive mentors who encourage creativity!
Application Deadline: August 2, 2021 at 11:55 PM.
Apply (or request more information): For more information on this posting, or to apply, please visit the CofC Handshake portal.
- [On Handshake] Please upload two documents: 1. your resume, 2. and in one file a cover letter, examples of social media profiles you’ve managed in the past (optional), and any other relevant branding content you’ve worked on. Also include your favorite three social media accounts if you’re feeling inspired!
- After you apply, expect to hear back from our team shortly.
- Final stage candidates will interview with members from our Executive Committee.
Megan GouldMegan Gould
- CofC Grad School: Seeks Director of Marketing and Recruitment - October 24, 2021
- CofC Institutional Events: Seeks Administrative Support Specialist - October 10, 2021
- DART: Careers in Community Organizing for Social Justice - September 17, 2021