Department: Alumni Relations
Position: Alumni Relations Events Intern (academic credit only)
Supervisor: Jess Tuckman
Assistant Director, Events
Term of position: Fall and Spring semesters, 10-15 hours per week, some nights and weekends
Benefits: This internship will provide excellent preparation for entry level positions in any event planning or project management position. The intern will gain valuable experience in successfully planning and executing a variety of events, including but not limited to A Charleston Affair and the Alumni Awards Gala. This position will also provide excellent networking opportunities at events with various College of Charleston Boards and other friends of the College.
Job tasks and responsibilities will vary based on the upcoming events and will include but not be limited to the following:
- Assisting the Assistant Director of Events as needed.
- Developing various aspects of events: invitations, menus, seating charts, facility layouts, nametags etc.
- Establishing budgets.
- Coordinating campus departments and vendors.
- Reserving event space.
- Learning event protocol and etiquette.
- Securing volunteers and sponsors for events.
- Working various Alumni Relations/Alumni Association events.
- Ability to work effectively on a computer using Microsoft Excel, Word, Publisher, and Powerpoint.
- Basic knowledge of Raisers Edge is a plus.
- Have demonstrated strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with regard to alumni and financial information.
- Be detail oriented, flexible and able to accept direction and constructive criticism.
- Be dependable and have a professional demeanor with others including alumni, students, staff and vendors.
- Must be able to lift 35 pounds and climb two flights of stairs in the Blacklock House and the Sottile House.
Application Process: All interested applicants should send a résumé with phone number and cover letter to Shanon Dooley, Alumni Relations Associate Director, Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org. The cover letter should include a paragraph detailing why you and the Alumni Relations Department would benefit from your internship. Applications must be received no later than Sunday, September 7, 2014. Please no phone calls.