John Snow, Inc. (JSI), a leader in public health consulting, is recruiting a Communication Director in the Health Services Division. The Communication Director will primarily support the AIDS.gov project, as well as other JSI projects. AIDS.gov is a national project through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of HIV/AIDS and Infectious Disease Policy. This project communicates HIV prevention, testing, and treatment information through a variety of new media channels.
The Communications Director will provide strategic thinking and leadership in the areas of communication, marketing, and new media across the AIDS.gov project. She/he will also develop and implement the AIDS.gov communications and marketing strategies, manage the project’s external communications and media relations, oversee the development of communications products with team members, and help to ensure internal and external communications on the project. The Communications Director will be the communication liaison to the AIDS.gov Director and report to the Managing Director of AIDS.gov. This position is based in JSI’s DC office.
Communications Strategy and Message Development
In collaboration with project team, develop and implement a comprehensive communication vision and strategy to promote and support AIDS.gov activities, including Awareness Days and other key events. Identify priority audiences and communication strategies to reach those audiences through appropriate communication channels, including new media. Ensure consistent, high quality delivery of communications messages.
Print, Electronic, and Media External Communication
Provides oversight to the AIDS.gov blog activities including managing of new media staff, federal agency staff, and Communication Coordinator Marketing.
Oversee the development and dissemination of press releases, web content, social networking content, stories, and promotional materials to support AIDS.gov activities, including campaigns.
Ensure coordination of communication activities with New Media Strategist, Project Coordinator, Partnership Specialist, other AIDS.gov team members, and AIDS.gov technology partner.
Report on project deliverables through weekly, monthly, and quarterly project evaluation activities.
Additional activities as needed.
Master of Public Health, Communication, or related field.
· Minimum of five years of experience working in and knowledge of HIV at federal, state, local levels.
· Ability to work in fast-paced, high intensity, complex work environment
· Extensive experience working with communities of color.
· Strong organizational skills, excellent attention to detail, ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, often with short notice and tight turn-around time.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills with client and team members.
· Ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people and constituencies.
· Strong writing skills (PSAs, speeches, etc.) in public health and governmental contexts.
· Knowledge of social marketing and communication strategies for public health programs.
· Experience and enthusiasm for new media and its application in public health programs.
· Knowledge of HIV prevention, testing, treatment/care, and research issues.
Michelle Samplin-Salgado, MPH
John Snow, Inc.
44 Farnsworth St.
Boston MA 02210