Location: Charleston, SC
Employment Type: Full-time, Salaried
Salary: $34,331 – $48,927 (salary is commensurate with education/experience which exceeds the minimum requirements)
Position Description: Provides all tactical and logistical planning and management of departmental functions including the coordination of all National Advisory Council conferences (biannually), guest speakers, Martin Scholar events, and departmental events. Develops marketing and promotional materials for the department. Maintains website and social media accounts for the department. Assists the Bully Pulpit Director with all aspects of BP events including liaising with media, monitoring expenditures and budget allocations, and promotional materials. Interacts regularly with all departmental constituencies (i.e., graduate/undergraduate students, faculty and staff) to advance the Department of Communication goals in serving over 600 undergraduate and graduate students.
- High School diploma and related work experience. Bachelor’s degree and progressively responsible work experience in a higher education institution and/or public relations/event planning is preferred.
- Candidates with an equivalent combination of experience and/or education are encouraged to apply.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Professional, and web-design and/or publishing software is required. Must be able to manage all departmental social media sites including LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Must be willing and able to learn new systems and software when needed. Knowledge of public relations and event planning principles is required. Knowledge of statistical report preparation and records management is essential for successful job performance. Must have superb written and oral communication skills. The ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with students, faculty, staff, alumni, Department of Communication National Advisory Council members and the general public is crucial.
- (30%) Coordinates, promotes, executes, and evaluates over 15 full-scale events a year, including all National Advisory Council events, Martin Scholar events, commencement receptions, guest speakers, etc. Organizes event marketing, logistical details, technical/event set-up, and speaker travel arrangements. Provides all organizational and operational support for the department’s National Advisory Council 3-day bi-annual conferences, including coordinating travel accommodations for members across the US. Keeps department Chair well informed of event preparations and provides administrative assistance needed to successfully host events. Assesses event success and makes recommendations to improve future events.
- (20%) In collaboration with the Chair, establishes marketing strategy to promote the department and its programs/events. Produces and updates all graphic design, content and layout of promotional materials, including brochures, fliers, National Advisory Council booklet, faculty bios and directory, departmental fact sheets, event programs, social media, and email promotions. Works with University Marketing and University Communications to ensure all office materials comply with the College’s brand manual. Develops tactical and strategic initiatives to maximize presence on all social media (e.g. Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn). Maintains departmental website with minimal direction from Chair.
- (15%) Assists with all aspects of planning and implementing the high-profile Bully Pulpit (BP) political series including, but not limited to, securing media presence, managing and coordinating media outlets, recruiting and supervising volunteer staff of 20+ for all events, tracking media impressions, conducting site visits with party representatives and reporters, vendor negotiations, designing all marketing materials, and managing day of the event logistics and department’s social media during events. Prepares event specification guide for targeted audiences (internal and external). Manages Bully Pulpit website and social media presence between series events. Assists BP Director in prospect development for sponsors and participants.
- (10%) Performs fiscal management functions for the department. Makes purchasing decisions for relevant accounts through eProcure and purchasing card. Formulates and maintains complex databases & spreadsheets and prepares annual reports for Chair, and additional reports as needed upon request. Develops budget requests and proposals; monitors fiscal compliance with State/College regulations; advises faculty/staff regarding fiscal policies and expenditure. Uses analytics and statistical information to assist the Chair in making projections and long-range planning decisions for the department.
- (10%) Works with the HSS Development Officer to coordinate alumni outreach activities, including coordinating and promoting alumni gatherings (national and local). Creates, writes, and distributes updates to Alumni and Friends of the Department. Provides a biannual report to Chair summarizing alumni outreach activities, outcomes, and goal attainment
- (10%) Supervises up to 3 student interns per semester including hiring, assigning tasks, scheduling, and conducting performance reviews/evaluations. Supervises and directs graduate student workers who assist with departmental events. Assists with front line contact for department constituencies and day-to-day faculty support as needed. Advises student organizations associated with the department on events planning and organizational development
- (5%) Assists Chair with special projects such as strategic planning, auditing, etc. Prepares related reports for Chair in preparation of the department’s annual report
Notes: Occasional travel is required. Some weekend and evening work is required. On occasion, minimal lifting may be required.
Application Deadline: Friday, September 17, 2021
Apply (or request more information): For more information or to apply, please visit the CofC Jobs site.
Megan GouldMegan Gould
- CofC Grad School: Seeks Director of Marketing and Recruitment - October 24, 2021
- CofC Institutional Events: Seeks Administrative Support Specialist - October 10, 2021
- DART: Careers in Community Organizing for Social Justice - September 17, 2021