With Who: Coastal Community Foundation
Location: Charleston, SC
Dates: Spring 2020
Position Summary: (This is a paid internship) The Communications Intern position is a part-time, temporary hourly position and reports directly to the Communications Officer.
The Intern will work on a variety of communications and marketing projects, including but not limited to coordinating and executing social media posts, writing copy, interviewing internal and external stakeholders for blogs and newsletters; participating in planning meetings with staff; monitoring regional news and current events and the communications channels of our key stakeholders and other organizations important to our work; assisting the Communications Officer with branding and other strategic projects.
The Intern will work closely with key members of staff and community partners to help create narrative work that speaks to what we do and how it impacts coastal South Carolina. This role will help us in increasing our social media presence, gaining visibility of our brand and streamlining our departmental processes.
The Communications Intern works 10-20 hours per week.
The Communications Intern will agree with and demonstrate respect for the Foundation’s belief that diversity means the active inclusion of the entire community as welcomed participants in all Foundation activities; support the Foundation’s practice of encouraging diversity, equity and inclusiveness as the cornerstones of all that the Foundation does.
Coordinating, Creating and Distributing Content
Create and post social media content on a regular basis to ensure coverage of our work across our service area
Find and pursue opportunities for social posts including Instagram and Facebook stories
Monitor regional nonprofits’ social media for sharing content
Draft copy for and post blogs as needed
Track down information for blogs and newsletter stories
Occasionally interview grant recipients or donors for stories
Assist donors, Board members, grantees and the public in a courteous, helpful, and respectful manner.
Perform other tasks as assigned
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, Experience, and Education Required:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be in pursuit of or have a bachelor’s degree in in Communications, Marketing, Media Studies or related field; or have at least three years of continuous work experience in communications, media or marketing fields in a professional capacity.
- If currently a college student, must be at least a rising senior at an accredited college or university with a minimum GPA of 3.5.
- Firm grasp of social media tools and platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn).
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook).
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines.
Additional Skills and Experience Preferred:
Prior professional experience in communications, media and/or marketing
Working knowledge of Adobe Suite, specifically InDesign and Photoshop
Basic graphic design skills (via online tools such as Canva)
Experience with email marketing platforms (Mailchimp)
Application Deadline: Applications close on December 23rd, 2019 at 11:55 pm.
Application Information: To apply, submit a resume, cover letter and essay response to the question listed below.
- Why do you want to work for Coastal Community Foundation?
Please submit materials to firstname.lastname@example.org in PDF format by 11:59 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 23, 2019 for consideration.
Apply (or request more information): Submit your application via Handshake today! (If you don’t have a Handshake account, select to create an account on the internship preview webpage. Questions? Contact us at email@example.com)
Megan GouldMegan Gould
- Camp Happy Days: Seeking Remote Marketing and Events Intern (Spring 2021) - December 4, 2020
- CofC Libraries: Seeks Marketing & Outreach Student Assistant - December 4, 2020
- Amazon: Seeking News Monitoring Coordinator - December 3, 2020